• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Rear Main?

quivvy

NAXJA Forum User
I was about to buy a 95XJ with 95k miles on it with the following...

3.5 RE Super Ride lift with AAL
Newer rear spring packs
JKS Adjustable track bar
Hella 500's on front bumper
8.25 rear with upgraded shafts and new LSD
31x10.5r 15 Dunlop Mud Rovers with about 70-75% tread left
Rancho steering stablizer
Also have High Angle Driveline driveshaft and RE Hack and Tap but neither are installed yet, but are included with the truck.
Mopar 8 1/4 with 29spline shafts and LSD

plus other goodies and recent trans flush, head gasket, water pump, etc...

Vehicle in good shape and inspected my jeep dealer. i was going to pay 3600 but just found out the rear main leaks and has a slight knock. would it be a good deal to snag at 2900 (if i dont want to have over 5g into it total)

Is it difficult to do a rear main? ive never done such extensive motor work but the will have a Hanes and patients... any suggests or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

quivvy said:
I was about to buy a 95XJ with 95k miles on it with the following...

3.5 RE Super Ride lift with AAL
Newer rear spring packs
JKS Adjustable track bar
Hella 500's on front bumper
8.25 rear with upgraded shafts and new LSD
31x10.5r 15 Dunlop Mud Rovers with about 70-75% tread left
Rancho steering stablizer
Also have High Angle Driveline driveshaft and RE Hack and Tap but neither are installed yet, but are included with the truck.
Mopar 8 1/4 with 29spline shafts and LSD

plus other goodies and recent trans flush, head gasket, water pump, etc...

Vehicle in good shape and inspected my jeep dealer. i was going to pay 3600 but just found out the rear main leaks and has a slight knock. would it be a good deal to snag at 2900 (if i dont want to have over 5g into it total)

Is it difficult to do a rear main? ive never done such extensive motor work but the will have a Hanes and patients... any suggests or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

check out the severity of the knock. If you have to put a new engine in it...that solves the rear main seal problem.

$3600.00 might have been a decent deal...but not with the motor the way it is.

quivvy said:
any place youd recommend to find a 4.0L for sale or anyplace youd recommend that rebuilds/sells them?

wrecking yard, or a good machine shop. Ask the guys in the Mid-West chapter. They'll know. Gil Bullykatz live in Chi-town. He'd be your best bet to ask.

Well....this is just me, BUT...

I would try to find an unbuilt XJ and build it up, I am not a big fan of buying pre-built Jeeps, you have no idea how it was built, if there are any problems....lurking.

As far as the rear main...they can be a breeze....or a bitch, get a Factory manual...dump the Haynes. Is it a KNOCK or a light rap? The light rapping is fairly normal and nothing to sweat over.

Rebuilt engines? Jasper. I had a Jasper rebuild installed, with a bunch of "extras" for 4K.

My OPINON is walk away....keep looking.

JMHO

Rev

well shit - the thing is i only have 5grand to spend TOTAL. i can either get a decent mileage newer truck and and throw a 2"bb on it and thats it... or get a rig like this thats been built (and this one hasnt been beaten...) i already have airfare now so i am going to do iit. just deciding weather i fix the main or swap a motor... depending on the knock. like i said i had it inspected by a jeep dealer and the only major thing was the rear main seal and a slight knock (we'll see...) htey said it was small and the owner said its a tiny noise he didnt think much of it. so we'll see after i get it. if i had the money i would buy stock and build up. but being a college student money will be tough to come by so this will be my best bet for a truck to put around town in and a trail rig. appreciate all the advice.

why do you say the rear main can be a breeze or a bitch? explain? Thanks for all the info - keep it coming!

Last edited:
quivvy said:
why do you say the rear main can be a breeze or a bitch? explain? Thanks for all the info - keep it coming!

Some motors it will push right out...other will require you digging it out after dropping the crank. My 90 had 170K niles on it when I got tired of putting oil in and tried to do the rear main seal. I beat on that sucker with everything...HARD...and it would not budge. I ended up having a rebuit motor put in. With under 100K you have a good chance of it being fairly easy, then again...oil is cheap...just keep adding. :D

Good luck.

Rev

Back