• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell if the clutch is going?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've been noticing lately that there's been an increasing "dead zone" on my clutch, what I mean is that I have to keep pushing the clutch down further &further to get into gear. Would this be an indicator that my clutch is going or is there something else wrong?

Almost forgot, this is on a 90 XJ Pioneer 4.0 & 5spd, I believe that the clutch is not the original but it's got 183.5k on the odo

Zoro said:
I've been noticing lately that there's been an increasing "dead zone" on my clutch, what I mean is that I have to keep pushing the clutch down further &further to get into gear. Would this be an indicator that my clutch is going or is there something else wrong?

uhm...you don't push the clutch pedal all the way down when you shift ??

Check the clutch cyl on the firewall for proper amount of fluid...

red91inWA said:
uhm...you don't push the clutch pedal all the way down when you shift ??

Check the clutch cyl on the firewall for proper amount of fluid...
This is the first stick shift vehicle I've ever owned & driven, I used to push the pedal all the way down until like a bunch of people told me I was doing it wrong so I just pushed it until could shift...

Zoro said:
This is the first stick shift vehicle I've ever owned & driven, I used to push the pedal all the way down until like a bunch of people told me I was doing it wrong so I just pushed it until could shift...
I think you answered your own question there........

CLUTCH GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN DURING SHIFTING.

BTW, a Clutch job on that is not too hard. As you'll find out VERY soon.

Zoro said:

well, it hydraulic so the slave inside the trans actually does the work. I always put it to the floor, and have been driving sticks for ever. ( NEVER had an AUTO).

Really...it's hard to say. Check the fluid level, and make sure its good. Put the pedal all the way down, and go from there. I know when I had a Ranger PU for work it had a hydro clutch that lasted for 180k before the slave went out on it.

That little part DOUBLED the cost of repairs, but was probably the reason it lasted so long in the first place.

This sounds dumb but where do I check the clutch fluid level at? I thought you were refering to the brake cylinder on the firewall.

Zoro said:
This sounds dumb but where do I check the clutch fluid level at? I thought you were refering to the brake cylinder on the firewall.

There's a clutch master cylinder on the firewall adjacent to the brake booster.

Zoro said:

should be RIGHT next to it. Just one small black cap about 2 inches in Diameter.

Zoro said:
Almost forgot, this is on a 90 XJ Pioneer 4.0 & 5spd, I believe that the clutch is not the original but it's got 183.5k on the odo

Hey I got an 89, I just changed the clutch on mine, but it had a bunch of more miles on it. I needed to replace the slave cylinder so while I was in there changed the clutch too. I got 186 and that was the original. I think it all depends on how you drive, if you slip the clutch a lot you will need to replace it more often than someone who doesn't use the clutch much. I bought my xj 4 years ago from a guy who drove it between Greely, CO and Boulder almost everyday. Once on the Highway and cruising you don't use the clutch and it doesn't wear out. Anyway, I got off topic, what do you mean by dead spot?

skierbri10 said:
What do you mean by dead spot?
When pressure is applied to the clutch pedal there is no resistance until the pedal is almost at the floor. What do you mean by slipping the clutch? I live in a really mountainy area so I shift on average about 2x per mile depending on how the road is, sometimes less sometimes ALOT more...

Zoro said:
When pressure is applied to the clutch pedal there is no resistance until the pedal is almost at the floor.

the wonders of a hydraulic clutch. Almost effortless compared to the older stuff.

red91inWA said:
WINNER...WINNER...uhm. Yeah. Thats the way its supposed to work.

Sorry. I'm in my ULTRA sarcastic mode today. I work with a bunch of idiots.
Me too...didn't mean to ask a dumb question but I though I'd ask since I've never owned or driven anything else stick before...

Zoro said:
When pressure is applied to the clutch pedal there is no resistance until the pedal is almost at the floor. What do you mean by slipping the clutch? I live in a really mountainy area so I shift on average about 2x per mile depending on how the road is, sometimes less sometimes ALOT more...

When my slave was going bad, that is what it would do, go to the floor without much effort. It would shift until the fluid leaked out. Check the fluid, it is the plastic thing on the drivers side near the firewall. It is right on top so it is easy to check. Don't confuse it with the brake resivoir though. The brake is the larger one. If there is fluid in it I would suspect that the slave is going out.

Dude it's your slave cylinder and it's a bitch because it's inside the bellhousing of the trans.... that trans gotta come out in order to replace the cylinder

Same thing was happening to me a couple months ago... got to the point where I couldn't even get it into first gear when mashing the clutch all the way down.

Checked the clutch fluid, it was below the minimum mark and jet black like old oil so I added brake fluid(like the cap says) and the clutch felt a little bit better.

If the clutch slave cylinder thing is gone about how much should that set me back? I'm probably going to end up doing the work my self...

Zoro said:
Checked the clutch fluid, it was below the minimum mark and jet black like old oil so I added brake fluid(like the cap says) and the clutch felt a little bit better.

If the clutch slave cylinder thing is gone about how much should that set me back? I'm probably going to end up doing the work my self...
149.97 for the entire kit at NAPA.

You are already in there, REPLACE the clutch.

Back