• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints, how far can they go before they really go?

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
Just found out both ball joints on the right side are bad and I'm a little nervous taking it out on some forest service roads this weekend. After driving around for 30+ minutes, they really start popping. After prying on the tire with a pry bar, we could see about 1/8" of play on the ball joints. The mechanic that helped me diagnose it said I should replace them sometime this summer but I should be fine for some light wheeling this weekend. He said I'd have to hit something really really hard for them to pop loose. The biggest concern he had was tire wear....

He said I should replace both sides, even though the left ones looks good. (he was surprised the right ball joints are already bad at 75K miles). That would run me $670 for both sides which would include alignment if I had him do it all. The Haynes manual says to take it to a qualified service center because of the special tools that are required (press I'm assuming).

Check out www.madxj.com and go to the axle tech articles. Click on ball joints.

Decide if you have the mechanical aptitude and tools to do it yourself.

Thanks for that link. However, that looks like a job that I might wanna have somebody with more experience around to do it with. I can see a half day job such as this turn into an entire weekend nightmare.

Well it really isnt that hard.

jack the front
take the tires off
remove brake rotor and caliper
remove bearing hub assembly via 3 bolts
remove 36mm hub to shaft nut
remobe hub and shaft
remove ball joint nuts
hammer knuckle out
use rented autozone press to pres the Ball joints out and press the new ones in.
get the jeep aligned for 40-50$

Its a day job for the first timer but i think its worth saving the ~700$

Plus we are here to help you, up to you tho.

Pete

Back