• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accessing trouble codes on '98XJ?

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
I tried the "off-on-off-on-off-on" thing and got nothing to display. Have manuals for '97 and '99, but not the '98. Doesn't the '97 make the odometer display and the '99 require a reader tool? And, what about the '98?
thanks

idahjo said:
I tried the "off-on-off-on-off-on" thing and got nothing to display. Have manuals for '97 and '99, but not the '98. Doesn't the '97 make the odometer display and the '99 require a reader tool? And, what about the '98?
thanks
You can do the key method for 96 and 97 and 99+ but for the 98 you unfortunately need a code reader.

Autozone. Get it read for free - get the actual code and not just their interpretation of it.

Never been able to do the key thing on my 00 model. OBD II on the jeeps seems to be kinda weird. Everyone seems to have something diffrent some people can do the key thing most cannot. I just picked up a code reader from ricer zone and since the stealership charges 70bucks just to hook theirs up (i know theirs does a lot more than the ricer zone one does) it has paid for its self on mine many times over.

If you are planning on keeping it a few years go spend the bucks on a factory service manual and an OBD II code reader, Actron makes one for about $150 and AA sells them. It will also reset codes. Very handy item to have when that check engine light comes on and you are wondering WTF, wonder if it's a code, a bad code or a really bad code.

The idea is you can only do the key trick on obd-1 jeep meaning up to 95-96 and anything other than that and to do it right you need the obd-2 reader that plugs into the jeeps computer plug.

pete

jeepsrock said:
The idea is you can only do the key trick on obd-1 jeep meaning up to 95-96 and anything other than that and to do it right you need the obd-2 reader that plugs into the jeeps computer plug.

pete
Nope, you're wrong. On 96 and 97 odbII vehicles you can still do key on key off trick. 99 and above has some sort of a key trick as well, although it works slightly different. Only the 98 one absolutely requires the code reader.

RichP said:
If you are planning on keeping it a few years go spend the bucks on a factory service manual and an OBD II code reader, Actron makes one for about $150 and AA sells them. It will also reset codes. Very handy item to have when that check engine light comes on and you are wondering WTF, wonder if it's a code, a bad code or a really bad code.

'Scuse me, but who is AA?

Advanced Auto, the parts store.

Sorry to drag out an old thread, but what's the "on-off-on" combination to get the trouble codes on an OBD I comp on a 92 XJ?

Check engine light just came on and I'd like to find out what's going on.

Thanks!

I just tried the "on" "off" thing on my '00 and was able to see the dance of the needles. Wierd seeing the Tach go to 6k and the Speedo go above 100.

Good news is...no codes. I didn't really expect any though.

8700xjs

Kejtar said:
99 and above has some sort of a key trick as well...
I have tried every "key trick" that there is on my 2001. The only way to read the codes is with a reader. There are no "key tricks" for the 2001. I sincerely doubt that there are for the '99 or '00 either.

If you have the details of some "key trick" that will work with a 2001 I am all ears.

8700XJS said:
I just tried the "on" "off" thing on my '00 and was able to see the dance of the needles.
The "dance of the needles" is just a dashboard and idiot light test. It will not provide you with the MIL codes that a reader will.

The code tricks will only work with OBD I systems most system 97+ are OBD II and therfore will give you a cluster test but no codes. For codes you will have to get or rent a reader.

Pete

jeepsrock said:
The code tricks will only work with OBD I systems most system 97+ are OBD II and therfore will give you a cluster test but no codes. For codes you will have to get or rent a reader.

Pete
Your information is incorrect. Please see the earlier posts on this thread.
FYI, -ALL- not most, 96 and newer are OBDII.

Back