• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code question?

HilltopXJ

NAXJA Member #950
I just got a screaming deal on a 93 sport 4Dr Aw4. 140,000mi $600. It has a few problems but over all in great shape. The last owner had just put a rebuild head, valves installed right before Xmas. Iguess it ran great after that for about a month. Then developed a bad knock. he took it back to the shop where he had the work done. they said, to bad its not the head. Sounds like a bad Main bearing or rod bearing and oil pump. Anyway he got sick of the damn thing sucking up all his money and got a title loan it and got a diffrent car. he was going to let it get repoed. for $469. :doh: (jackA$$). anyway I gave him $600 bucks and he took it :D . Well on top of the knock its giving a 76 fault code.
whats this code mean.

scott

code 76 - Fuel Pump Resistor Bypass Relay Circuit - An open or shorted condition exists with the relay drive circuit.

Check the bypass relay and associated wiring. Relay socket maybe corroded.

I think the relay is mounted on the coolant recovery bottle.

It's pretty common for a rod bearing to go after a valve job on an old engine. If you're lucky it might be just that - mains are less likely, especially these days on an engine like the XJ's with 7 of them. I've known a couple of shops that would refuse to warrantee a valve job without a minimum of new rod bearings.

This code 76, will it cause a problem. Other than the knock the xj has no loss of power the throttling and is starting fine. I really haven't driven it much cause of the knocking. On to the trailer and off. Oh yeh power braked it on the street she got plenty of power. Way better than my 88 with 261000miles and counting.

As for the rod bearings, I think your right. I figured I would do the rods and the main providing the journals on the crank still look good. Thinking about a new oil pump for the hell of it. have you tried a hi flow pump before? Or is OEM just as good. thanks

Got some pics.
695378493205_0_ALB.jpg

585378493205_0_ALB.jpg

895978493205_0_ALB.jpg

739488493205_0_ALB.jpg
Must of had slobs for kids.

Back