• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID conversion kit/lights

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
anyone had any good/bad experience with these? non sealed units with HID bulbs...?

I ran a H7 setup on my Honda CBR600RR from www.xenondepot.com. Their prices are at a premium but the quality and service where great.

I want to pick up some H1 bulbs and use the harnesses and ballasts from the CBR for my XJ. But at $150 a piece that idea is on hold. They would work great with my Hella replacement housings. The light spread will most likely have 'hot-spots'. To cure that I would have to rig up some projector beam lenses, that would rock.

Purple said:
anyone had any good/bad experience with these? non sealed units with HID bulbs...?
Are you talking true HID or just white/blue colored plug-in H7 bulbs?
There's a world of difference in performance and price. HID lites need a lot more than just a special wiring harness. They use a ballast and are EXTREMELY pricy.
I know, my Mark VIII has HID headlites and I just paid $238 for ONE REPLACEMENT BULB.

Who is selling the Xenarc conversion cheapest....how about we put together a group buy, I am sold on these also!!

jrsxj98 said:
http://www.bigoffroad.com/

JohnJohn offers a wiring kit.

This is a null and totally bogus waste of money with HID's...I REPEAT, do NOT buy the harness if you want to get HIDs.

The HID ballasts only draw 35w, this is 20w LESS then the current bulbs you have in there. The only reason I would consider getting the harness is if you fried your current one, or if you have other wiring issues. The factory harness should have no issues delivering enough juice.

sintax said:
This is a null and totally bogus waste of money with HID's...I REPEAT, do NOT buy the harness if you want to get HIDs.

The HID ballasts only draw 35w, this is 20w LESS then the current bulbs you have in there. The only reason I would consider getting the harness is if you fried your current one, or if you have other wiring issues. The factory harness should have no issues delivering enough juice.
Actually, you are corrcet, HID's only draw 35w, but the harness is not a waste of time, because the HID's will benefit from having a full 35w at all times, with less peaks in voltage, which a harness will help control. When the HID kits recieve spikes and peaks of voltage, they can burn out, I would still recomend the harness to be safe! I think I am going to try running my own kit first, I already have the IPF H4 lights, as well as a aftermarket HID kit that was on my foglights of my Audi, I may pull those out and try them out to see how they work!

I'm pretty damn confident that the factory harness can deliver a full 35w at any given time. Unless rats have eaten your wires, or they are rusted out they should easly be able to supply 35w with no issues.

Back