• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Axle Trackbar Bracket

Cruzin Illusion

NAXJA Forum User
I have went from 5.5" lift to 8" of lift and now my trackbar seems to be at such an angle that it touches the factory bracket on the axle side. First does this interfer with the flex of the vehicle? Second will running an above axle bracket help or is that just to shorten the distance between the bracket on the axle and the Upper trackbar bracket? I honestly have only seen this type of set up on one rig. I am painting my rig right now so I have not had the chance to flex it out to see if the trackbar touching the bracket causes binding and/or loss of motion causing a loss in flex.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I have went from 5.5" lift to 8" of lift and now my trackbar seems to be at such an angle that it touches the factory bracket on the axle side. First does this interfer with the flex of the vehicle? Second will running an above axle bracket help or is that just to shorten the distance between the bracket on the axle and the Upper trackbar bracket? I honestly have only seen this type of set up on one rig. I am painting my rig right now so I have not had the chance to flex it out to see if the trackbar touching the bracket causes binding and/or loss of motion causing a loss in flex.

Yes and Yes. Steering?

Last edited:
don't take this the wrong way but what are you doing with 8" of lift and no clue if you tracbar binding will limit flex. please dont' tell me you still have your stock CA arms when you get up past about 4" there is a lot more that needs to be accounted for basicly every part of the suspension system needs to be at least considered when going over 4".

anyway to answer your question the length of the tracbar will limit some flex but the main thing to look at is keeping your steering parrel sp* with the trac bar this stops bump steer. and then there are a million other things to look at do a search and you'll find just about every part of the suspension covered.

Whats BJ-666? I have more then enough experience on off-road vehicles. I have cut back the lower trackbar bracket to free up the binding. I was asking this question to see if anyone has run this set up and to see if it is worth installing or if what I have done is going to have the same results if I fabricate and modify the mount position of the trackbar. I am new to NAXJA and I hope not everyone on here is as rud as you. This is why I don't belong to any organization. If you want see my ability come down to Colorado and we can run Indy. About the suspension I am running TNT Customs Y-arm set up.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I have cut back the lower trackbar bracket to free up the binding.

You didn't state that initially.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I was asking this question to see if anyone has run this set up and to see if it is worth installing or if what I have done is going to have the same results if I fabricate and modify the mount position of the trackbar.

That's not what you asked.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I am new to NAXJA and I hope not everyone on here is as rud as you.

Some are more and some are less.

Well maybe 20 year olds that changed their oil for the first time and think they know everything should just not make rud comments. Oh I guess this was a rud comment.

i was going to hold my toung till i saw that lawn cher had commented...

at full droop on the passenger side, my adjustable trackbar is my flex limiter currently, and im at ~ 6" of lift up front...

and some simple ideas to help yourself out:
ignore or come back with something better to piss the other people off - telling everyone that you know your shit does nothing...
making witty comments (i am still learning this one) will get you much farther...

when i swap my front axle out i am going to an over axle setup, but i am also going to move the frame side up as well (no h-steer plans) and also re-design the steering to run a drag link that is parallel to the trackbar...

The biggest issue with moving your trackbar up is that you've got to do something with the draglink as well. Usually, folks only go over-axle with the trackbar when they've done some sort of high/crossover steering conversion. At 8" of lift, that's probably something you'll need to do anyway.

XJ_ranger said:
when i swap my front axle out i am going to an over axle setup, but i am also going to move the frame side up as well (no h-steer plans) and also re-design the steering to run a drag link that is parallel to the trackbar...

Noone cares what you're gonna do, you long-haired hippie freak! :wave:

Just think, if I had accomodated your crazy desire for a MJ project you never would have gotten anything done on your XJ. You can thank me later, I take Paypal.

Last edited:
Jeepin Jason said:
The biggest issue with moving your trackbar up is that you've got to do something with the draglink as well. Usually, folks only go over-axle with the trackbar when they've done some sort of high/crossover steering conversion. At 8" of lift, that's probably something you'll need to do anyway.

That's exactly what I said, in a single word, in my initial reply. I get the award for most succinct response. I rock. W00t! :jester:

I first want to say I did not want to piss anyone off. I was hoping to find some others that have the same interests as I do and can have conversation with. Second I am running a steering setup by Phatjeeps. Its a semi high steer set up using brackets that bolt to the hubs to give a mounting point for the tie rod higher and farther forward. I truly have thought about every angle possible and am trying to get ideas that I may have missed or not have thought of. Someone else's experiences can be your greatest learning tool.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I first want to say I did not want to piss anyone off. I was hoping to find some others that have the same interests as I do and can have conversation with. Second I am running a steering setup by Phatjeeps. Its a semi high steer set up using brackets that bolt to the hubs to give a mounting point for the tie rod higher and farther forward. I truly have thought about every angle possible and am trying to get ideas that I may have missed or not have thought of. Someone else's experiences can be your greatest learning tool.

You haven't pissed anyone off, just don't get pissed off yourself. You've found the right place, relax and stay awhile. :flipoff:

Oh, and its spelled rude.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I am new to NAXJA and I hope not everyone on here is as rud as you. This is why I don't belong to any organization. If you want see my ability come down to Colorado and we can run Indy.

Okay man, first off --- BJ-666 in no way was being rude to you. As a matter of a fact he preempted his post with "dont' take this the wrong way". If he was really trying to be rude to you, then he would have probably not said that. And to top it off he gave you some pretty good advice. Again, if he was trying to be rude he probably wouldn't have taken the time to give you advice at all. Now, since no one knows your background and what you can do and what you've done you are going to find that people will be wary about your plans on your rig, NOT because we are all jackasses, but because no one wants to see anyone make huge dumb mistakes and least of all get hurt. People around here are going to give you their opinions A LOT and if it's not exactly what you wanted to hear then you're just going to have to suck it up and then clarify your question a bit maybe --- maybe with more history so no one thinks you don't know what you're doing. Now, I can't speak for everyone because I'm sure there are some guys on this forum that are total jacks, but I don't think anyone has been rude to you in this thread. If you want to see rude, then ask someone what gear ratio you should run with 37s and then mention you're sporting a dana 35! LOL

Wow, Josh has us all figured out in just 49 posts... he should get the newbie of the year award. :yelclap:

formatt said:
you guys are cracking me up. :D

Tom (cruzzin) is running Phat Jeeps cross-over steering.

that tidbit of info would've been helpful. Going over-axle with the trackbar would probably also serve to get rid of the tiny bit of bumpsteer I figure he's got with that kit. Better yet, do a drop pitman arm and further reduce the draglink angle and get it more inline with the raised trackbar.

Going over-axle is really more common that you may be thinking, just search for any thread talking about doing a front D44 swap. If you don't mind shuckin' out about $50 for a pre-fab made-to-fit bracket, check out JKS's fab-parts OAB kit. The current design has two holes so you can fine-tune your trackbar position.

100_0280.JPG

and shut yer cake-holes about the welds!

Cruzin Illusion said:
Whats BJ-666? I have more then enough experience on off-road vehicles. I have cut back the lower trackbar bracket to free up the binding. I was asking this question to see if anyone has run this set up and to see if it is worth installing or if what I have done is going to have the same results if I fabricate and modify the mount position of the trackbar. I am new to NAXJA and I hope not everyone on here is as rud as you. This is why I don't belong to any organization. If you want see my ability come down to Colorado and we can run Indy. About the suspension I am running TNT Customs Y-arm set up.
bj-666 said:
don't take this the wrong way
Guess that was too much to ask, huh?
Cruzin, first off, your question has a certain noobie quality that we've all heard before.
Often.
Example:
There is very little reason to ever take an XJ to 8" of lift. It causes a God-awful amount of problems with very few benefits.
The degree of mechanical ability needed to do it properly most likely will eliminate the need to ask a question about the trackbar location.
In other words, if you have to ask this question, you're probably not qualified to do what you're doing.
BJ-666 was, rightfully, looking out for you.
Sorry, you get the truth here.
Want to feel good? Buy an ice cream cone.

Last edited:
Cruzin Illusion said:

Cruzin Illusion said:
Whats BJ-666? I have more then enough experience on off-road vehicles. I have cut back the lower trackbar bracket to free up the binding. I was asking this question to see if anyone has run this set up and to see if it is worth installing or if what I have done is going to have the same results if I fabricate and modify the mount position of the trackbar. I am new to and I hope not everyone on here is as rud as you. This is why I don't belong to any organization. If you want see my ability come down to Colorado and we can run Indy. About the suspension I am running TNT Customs Y-arm set up.

You have moved your steering, but not your Panhard bar? This means they are running at different angles. Bad idea. Move your track bar in a fashion that produces parallel Panhard and drag link angles.

Welcome to NAXJA.

As a side note, we have a search feature. It's groovy.

CRASH

Back