• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ tire sizes

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and didn't find anything on this. Are 235-75-15 tires too big for a stock MJ. Will they cause premature failure on any parts? It is the four cylinder/four speed if that matters.

Thanks.

Burley

They are several sizes larger than what came on the truck, but aside from making it feel even slower than it already is, they won't hurt anything. I have a 4-cyl 4-speed and it has 3.55 gears. I believe the stock tires were 205/75. 235s will reduce the effective gear ratio, maybe to something like 3.31, maybe even to the equivalent of 3.07. I haven't run the math to check it.

Eagle said:
They are several sizes larger than what came on the truck, but aside from making it feel even slower than it already is, they won't hurt anything. I have a 4-cyl 4-speed and it has 3.55 gears. I believe the stock tires were 205/75. 235s will reduce the effective gear ratio, maybe to something like 3.31, maybe even to the equivalent of 3.07. I haven't run the math to check it.

Eagle, your the authority on MJ's. What size of light truck tire would you suggest without breaking the budget? It had 215/75-15 right now and they look like the "right" size for the vehicle.

It'll make it slower, especially with the 4 cyl, but a friend of mine has 235/75 BFG A/T TA tires on his MJ and they fit fine.

Burley said:
Eagle, your the authority on MJ's. What size of light truck tire would you suggest without breaking the budget? It had 215/75-15 right now and they look like the "right" size for the vehicle.

Here's mine, same as yours, with 235's on it. It was originally 2WD, which have slightly less clearance than 4WD's, but they fit fine and look a helluva lot better than the stock 205's :)
HTH,
Jeff
http://photobucket.com/albums/v220/mjeff87/

Jeff in VA said:
Here's mine, same as yours, with 235's on it. It was originally 2WD, which have slightly less clearance than 4WD's, but they fit fine and look a helluva lot better than the stock 205's :)
HTH,
Jeff
http://photobucket.com/albums/v220/mjeff87/

Do you think I could use the stock rims with 235's?

Thanks guys. This little truck is slowly coming together after some major things had to be fixed like floor boards welded in etc. All I need is to get some new tires and fabricate a rear bumper and I'm all set.

235s will look good, but aren't much larger than 225s and may cost a bit more. Go with whichever you can get a deal on. By all means use the stock rims. I have run a 30x9.50 on a stock 6" wide Jeep rim. 235s will be no problem at all. In fact, one of my MJs is wearing 235s on stock 15x6 rims right now.

Well I had some 225/75-15's put on the old MJ today and they look pretty good. Much better than the 205's that were on it before. I bought some LeMans (Firestone) SE from the local Firestone dealer for $216 mounted and balanced with roadside warranty care.

Thanks to Eagle and the rest who responded to this post!

Burley

Back