• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock tires....upgrades

scase86

NAXJA Forum User
what is the largest size tire that is able to fit WITHOUT rubbing on a stock cherokee?I know that 225/75/15's (translates to 28.2x8.80/15) came on certain cherokees during the 1987 model year (my year), but Id like to go even bigger, say 235/75/15 (28.86x9.25/15) or even 30x9.50/15. id like some bigger tires than my dinky 205/75's (approximatly 27x8.0's)) but really dont want to go through the hastle of a lift just yet.my main concern is that it doesnt rub at full flex or full turn...I just want to go with the largest possible without rubbing. I do only have the stock 15x6 wheels, so I figure whatever route I go I will probably have to upgrade to wider wheels, and possibly a different offset!?? any thoughts?

PS. its the pioneer model, 4 door.

Last edited:
2000 Limited. Stock size is 225/70/R16. I put on 245/70/R16 and they rubbed slightly at full lock.

Assuming the spring aren't way sagged, you can fit 235/75-15's without rubbing at full lock. With swaybars connected at full flex they should not rub but I dont know about being disconnected. 30x9.50's will go on most with minimal rubbing at full flex but 97+ have a little bit of a tighter fit.

As said, a little more info on your jeep would help, but 235/75-15's shouldnt be a problem on anything.

Dean

When I bought my 91... some moron had put 255/75r15's on it.

They actually only rubbed when I had people in the back... or if I flexed it offroad.
But it was real close.

Also, though, my suspension is sagged to hell. I was at about 15 inches on the starbord side before I put the helpers on.

Now I could probably run them if I wanted to, but, I've already made the decision to downsize a bit and just get better quality tires.

So yeah... long-winded way of saying that if you pushed it, you could throw in 255's.... but, it is pushing it.

DDCxj said:
Assuming the spring aren't way sagged, you can fit 235/75-15's without rubbing at full lock.
He's got the 15x6 rims though, and they probably will rub on the lower control arm at full lock. Fixes include either: Don't turn to full lock, adjust the steering stops, or use 15x7 factory rims. My 89 with 235/75R15 BFG ATs would rub when I had the 15x6 rims, but when I traded it in the dealer swapped my tires over to the new Jeep using the newer 15x7 rims, and my rubbing issues were gone. My bro-in-law had 235s on an early 90s XJ with no rub...again using the 15x7s.

I had factory 15x8 rims and 30x9.5 and it didn't rub. But mines older. I would say go for it and the ONLY time you would probably rub is if you were towing. The factory 15x6 though will rub at full lock with the 30's

In general, 235/75R15 is considered the largest tire that fits without rubbing. But ... not all tires are equal. On my '88, I have run two different sets of 235s that didn't rub. Currently I am running a set of BFG A/Ts, and they rub the lower control arms at full steering lock. I think it's because they have a more square shoulder, and maybe also a blockier tread.

All were/are on factory 15x7 rims.

I'm running 30x9.5x15's with no lift in the front(lift in the rear, doesn't matter) on my 1990 xj pioneer 2dr and the only time it rubs is when I turn left, but I think that's something I did...

Back