• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dead after wrench hit starter,sparks everywhere,then odom reads "no bus"

Atreyu

NAXJA Forum User
When putting my RE 5.5" lift on, my friend accidently hit the wrench on the starter and the frame rail at the same time causing sparks to go everywhere. I started the truck and it started fine, but then I read No Bus on the odometer and the check engine light was on. I turned the lights on and they were really dim but then they finally went out. I tried to start it and it was dead. I checked the battery and there was no spark. Any ideas on what could be wrong and or how to fix it? Thanks for the help.

Re: XJ dead after wrench hit starter,sparks everywhere,then odom reads "no bus"

Atreyu said:
When putting my RE 5.5" lift on, my friend accidently hit the wrench on the starter and the frame rail at the same time causing sparks to go everywhere. I started the truck and it started fine, but then I read No Bus on the odometer and the check engine light was on. I turned the lights on and they were really dim but then they finally went out. I tried to start it and it was dead. I checked the battery and there was no spark. Any ideas on what could be wrong and or how to fix it? Thanks for the help.
check your fuses: both the ones inside the cab and outside

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about half a minute and reconnect it. This will reset the engine computer.

2. Try to start the engine again. If it cranks but doesn't fire up and you still get "no bus" on the odometer, you may have fried the engine computer. If the engine doesn't crank at all and the electrics are dead, that'll mean that the battery's totally dead.

3. Have the battery checked. If it's totally dead, it may not hold charge if you attempt to recharge it so you may need to replace it.

I checked all the fuses in and out and none were blown. So far it doesnt sound good and I really hope my computer isn't blown.

SORRY this is a little late. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATT. BEFORE YOU START WORKING ON YOUR RIG.

Yea I know but it never really occured to me that I would need to since it was suspension work. I guess I will have learned my lesson. Any input anyone might still have could help.

You should be able to get a computer at a salvage place or even here if you need them, they seem to be sold often. Stealership I'm sure wants wads of cash for one. What year is your rig anyway? Anyway, you could have blown whats known as a fusible link, there is one before the fusebox thats inside the engine and others I think. Protects some unfused circuits like the starter. If you have access to a multimeter (voltmeter/ohmmeter) its useful for diagnosis of electrical problems.

It's a 2000. If it is the computer that's blown, how much do you think total cost would be to fix it?

Atreyu said:
It's a 2000. If it is the computer that's blown, how much do you think total cost would be to fix it?
Boneyard one about $150+, new one about $500+

Good news guys!! It's fixed and it only cost $43!! It was a ground battery wire that wasnt attached and actually something else small that I don't remember because Im so glad it works!! Thanks for the help!!

Back