• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 XJ 2.5l Auto with 3.55 gears!?!?!

DaveHillier

NAXJA Forum User
I went to buy a XJ for the gears from my friend and we took the cover off the front housing and it says 46-13. Which I believe is 3.55 gears. I thought it would have atleast 4.10 gears in it. He's had it since it was brand new and never changed the rear ends. Isn't this kinda odd?

Yeah, they're 3.54s. I would have expected 3.73s -- that's what's in the 86 2.8L V6 automatic I have outside.

The 4.10s weren't used behind the automatic because of the high RPMs. Look for 4.10s in the AMC years behind 5-speeds with the 4-cyl engine. Later I think Chrysler standardized and used 4.10s in all the 4-cylinder vehicles, but I don't know what year that began.

84 did not have 4.10's 85 had some and so did 86. The ratios available stock were anywhere from 3.31 up to 3.73's in the early years with some 4.10's... Most of the ones i have seen have 3.73's!

ya my 86 2.5 4 definetely has 3.54s and i was under the impression that it had the 4.10s, when i was 16 this girl i let drive it ran into a rock when we were out on this dirt road and it bent the hell out of the dana 30 housing causing all sort of problems, anyways, when i went to the junkyard somehow the xj gods smilied down on me because i just pulled the first 30 i found, just hapened to be out of a 2.5, and i didnt check the ratio! the thought never occured to me that i could jack something up pretttty bad.

Mine is an 85 wagoneer with a 2.5, 3 speed 904 tranny and 3.73 gears. Wish I had some 4.10 gears.

Back