• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ to MJ seat conversion

Vee Dubb

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, scored a set of buckets out of a wrecked xj at the bone yard. For $40 for the pair, it was too good to pass up, especially because not only were they the exact ones I was looking for, but they were the right color and everything.

Adventure #1

Removing the brackets from the MJ Bench. OMG what a pain in the arse. Not only are they riveted on, but they are also WELDED with pinch welds. And of course you cannot see the little divot where the weld is until after you have tried to pry the bracket off.

Adventure #2

Removing the brackets from the XJ buckets. ditto ditto omfg ditto.

Adventure #3

Welding the bench brackets to the buckets. Whew, finally I catch a break. It's absoloutly strait-forward swap. I mounted them exactly where the rivet's were on the previous brackets and mig'd them down. I really couldn't have asked for an easier project, considering.

So now, I have the XJ big-bolster, hollow head rest, rocking (or tilting?) bucket seats in my MJ. I will say this though, the do sit a bit higher than I had hoped. At 6'1" tall, I have only about 4-5" of headroom, vs the probably 10-12" with the bench. My legs are much happier now though! I can actually hear the rear speakers now too, I forgot they were back there.
I'll get some pics of them here tomorrow when it's light out. It was dark here by the time I finished.

-Steven

I'm confused. On my MJ the bench seat was bolted to the pedestals. No welds. The XJ buckets I think I remember were riveted to the XJ pedestals, but no welds. Once they were all removed, I just bolted the XJ buckets to the MJ pedestals and it was done.

Eagle said:
I'm confused. On my MJ the bench seat was bolted to the pedestals. No welds. The XJ buckets I think I remember were riveted to the XJ pedestals, but no welds. Once they were all removed, I just bolted the XJ buckets to the MJ pedestals and it was done.

It may differ between years/model/option. I do know that mine were a pain in the butt, and I'm really glad I have access to a shop full of welding supplies and equip.

On another note, however, I have noticed that the passenger seat does not set level. Whether it be due to design, or error, I'm not really sure I care. It is taking some getting used to, though, not sitting on the floor anymore like I was in the bench seat. These buckets definately set much higher. The rear bracket from the bench is MUCH taller at the mounting point than were the bucket brackets, that actually set basically ON the floor. I'm quite sure that has alot to do with it.

As for the console, yes, I will be installing a console. Will it be from an XJ? I'm unsure. I seem to have lost my mercedes shifter assy. I spent a few hours looking for it today. I hate loosing things. I'm sure I put it up somewhere where I wouldn't loose it, and promptly forgot where that place is. Story of my life.

I didn't have a chance to shoot some pics of the buckets today. Good buddy of mine just setup for business doing spray bedliners. Excuse the pun, but my MJ was his TEST BED. <snicker> I'm happy because it came out really nice, and it was FREE. Now I need to straiten the minor dings in the body and paint it, and it will be beautimous.

I bought a "new" bench for my MJ, they had cut it off the original pedestal because they couldn't figure out how to unbolt the "sliders" from the seat.

It took me a while but I sat there in the rain (sort of) for about 45 minutes staring at my old bench seat wondering how I was going to seperate it from it's pedistal and mount the new bench, like you all I could see were rivets.

Finally after literally turning the seat over in various angles a reinforced looking area kept catching my attention so I slipped a wrench in there and found the almost hidden bolts that when removed detached the slider on the pedestal from the old bench seat, then I removed the cut off sliders from the new seat by locating those same bolts. I bolted the pedestal/slider combo out of my MJ to the new seat and had it all back in the vehicle in about 10 minutes total. The "new" bench feels much higher than the worn out one I replaced.

xjblue said:
Finally after literally turning the seat over in various angles a reinforced looking area kept catching my attention so I slipped a wrench in there and found the almost hidden bolts that when removed detached the slider on the pedestal from the old bench seat, then I removed the cut off sliders from the new seat by locating those same bolts. I bolted the pedestal/slider combo out of my MJ to the new seat and had it all back in the vehicle in about 10 minutes total. The "new" bench feels much higher than the worn out one I replaced.
:doh:

Yep. 2 on each side, and done. The old hidden bolt trick. Gets 'em every time.

had the same problem, I think I have a write up on it somewhere on naxja. It took 3 hours, not a bad project. One of the best mods I have done yet.

Back