• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock sliders installed

tripletsjeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I finished up my sliders/ steps up today after working on them all weekend. I think they will work good for what I will be doing. I wanted a step to get up to my roof rack and so the kids could crawl in better.

DSCN5312.jpg

DSCN5319.jpg

DSCN5320.jpg

wtf? what are you going to use to lift your jeep up? a CAT? thats beef!

Could you please post some of the details. Such as what material you used , size , how much of it. Possibly measurements and some pictures would be awesome. I've never seen any quite like your , once I get some details ill get on making some myself.

As long as you are not using these to rockcrawl you should be okay. Yeah there is beef, but not where it counts. You have to have a pinch seam tie in is what I am told by all the fabrication experts around here and I will have one if I ever decide to get of my butt and make some for my Jeep.======Kyle

offroadman83 said:
You have to have a pinch seam tie in

It looks like he does. Check the small holes on the inner bar.

offroadman83 said:
As long as you are not using these to rockcrawl you should be okay. Yeah there is beef, but not where it counts. You have to have a pinch seam tie in is what I am told by all the fabrication experts around here and I will have one if I ever decide to get of my butt and make some for my Jeep.======Kyle

yeah - that is what all the experts say, so it has to be true...

and kevin's offroad sliders have no idea what they are doing not having a pinch seam tie in...

there is more than one way to make stuff strong enough...
repeating what others say without any expierence at all is useless...

XJ_ranger said:
yeah - that is what all the experts say, so it has to be true...

and kevin's offroad sliders have no idea what they are doing not having a pinch seam tie in...

there is more than one way to make stuff strong enough...
repeating what others say without any expierence at all is useless...

You need to tie them in to the pinch seam. I know from experience. It's the easiest way to ensure they wont push up into the body. Some designs are tried and true.

Look at the bottem picture. I can see the bolts that hold them to the pinch seam. With the rail flat against the bottom of the rocker those are going to be plenty beefy.

Good job. They look great!

yeah those are gonna work real well. How much did they set you back. looks nice man.

Thanks guys,

I will try and get some pictures after work of the underside. I used 3/16 1x2 inch square tubing for everything but the frame plates, they are 1/4 inch. I have holes thru the main bar into the pinch seam with 5/16 grade 8 bolts (6 per side). I have 5/16 bolts holding the frame plates to the frame ( 2 per leg) . All and all I spent $56 on these. I got lucky and was able to use alot of scraps we had left over from a stair railing that was made for our office. All I bought was one 24' bar of 1x2 tube and the hardware. I may weld the frame plates directly to the frame for more strength in the near future.

looks great. but let me ask the experts? Isn't it better to have a tubular rock slider as opposed to that set up b/c it seems if u are rock crawling that a boulder tip can get stuck in the middle spaces thus causing you to rip aprt the xj when u throttle off of them. correct?

JnJ said:
You need to tie them in to the pinch seam. I know from experience. It's the easiest way to ensure they wont push up into the body. Some designs are tried and true.

My rails from Kevin hold up just fine and they dont have pinch seam tie ins....weld them to the frame, they will hold

If you had used .120" wall and 1/4-20's(7 per pinch seam on mine) it will all fit,.120" is the only material with the same radius as the rocker.
BTW.all those crossbraces are "rock magnets",plate it!
rocker.jpg

al%20skids.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Do the bolts going into the 'frame' go right through to the other side where there is a nut or are they self threading bolts?

Looks great...might i ask how many feet of box tubing it took you to make all that? I ask because im getting ready to make something like that for myself and am trying to get a rough estimate on how much tube i should order.

These look great. I think I'll do something similar.

You could use these to crawl rocks if you welded a sheet of 3/16" metal to the bottom as a skid plate. If you wanted to beef them up even more, use bigger grade 8 bolts to connect to the frame, or just weld around the connection plates to the frame (or do both). If you dont want to weld to the frame, 1/2" long bolts should do the trick. Use big washers.

Those cross braces you've installed are super-beef but don't you think if you actually have to slide across a rock or stump those cross-braces will stop you? My suggestion, what would make those things super-trick... Screw some 3/8" white dense plastic to the bottoms of those things (Like the NEW Fabtech TJ kits use). Countersink the heads of the screws and you'll have a slippery, smooth surface to slide across. Bitchin!

Back