• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which A/C Compressor Do I Have?

95XJMichigan

NAXJA Forum User
My compressor bearing is going bad and I need to replace it, the problem is I dont Know which model compressor I have, apparently there are 3. Its a 95 cherokee with the 4.0 and has 106k miles. The only thing on the compressor is 709t stamped on the top, and S and D by the high and low side lines on the back on the compressor. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Thats really odd, I have the same compresor in my 96 and there is no PN tag, bar code tag or specification tag on mine either.

I have a 94 xj with an AC compressor without the manufacturers label (just the R12 ID label). But the compressor housing has 709t stamped into it. I believe this is a Sanden 709 compressor, 7 cyl, 9 cu in displacement, reciprocating wobble plate style. Not sure what the t stands for though..

Oh, and the S and D markings are for the Suction (low) and Discharge (High) lines..

Last edited:
Sounds right - the Sandens are pretty popular (and make good OBA units, I hear - but Yorks are better...)

I know it was the Sanden SD505 up to at least 1989 - all four of my XJ's (1987-1989) have that unit. The 709 is probably about the same size - but the higher displacement and extra cylinders probably make for a more even pressure source.

Also correct on the nature of the "S" and "D" markings.

A side note - most compressor clutches (the part that usually goes awry,) come with 30-60 days' warranty when purchased alone, but significantly longer when you buy the compressor and clutch together. Also, the price difference is usually less significant than you'd think, and you'll probably be coming due for hoses and such anyhow - this is probably a good time to think about a retrofit anyhow. A retrofit typically wants to change the hoses and accumulator, with everything else flushed out (the oils for R12 and R134a are not compatible.)

I remember seeing decent prices on these things (mid-$200's for compressor and clutch, IIRC) at RB's Automotive - a hotrodder's supply house. This was for the SD505, and I don't recall if they have the SD709 - but their catalogue is worth having in its own right...

5-90

My Jeep already Has R134A in it, and is properly charged (i did it at college) but i did not have the money at the time to replace the bearing, i will price out a whole new clutch assembly, but i still dont know what kind of compressor it is. Thanks

91 to 95 is a Sanden SD709. SD709's are used in many makes and model vehicles so the 709t designation is probably the des for the clutch type.

I belive the bearing for the clutch in SD510 and SD709 is the same BCA/Bower 5001KFF, is posible to change the bearing without totally remove the compressor but is not easy I changed the bearing and the clutch coil a month ago it taked me about 1 1/2 hours.

Back