• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ steering play

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '87 4X2 Comanche without power steering and have a problem. There is a tremendous amount of play in the steering wheel when driving at any speed. It feels like six to eight inches of wheel movement before the steering takes up slack. When the MJ is sitting still there is zero play. It is rather scary when doing 60mph on the highway! Where should I start with this? Tie-rods? Ball joints? Steering gear box?

Thanks guys!

Burley

Lawn Cher' said:
Check your track bar at both ends.

Do I just grab a hold of it and feel if it is loose?

Check where it bolts both to the axle and the frame... sometimes the hole in the axle bracket eggs out and sometimes the tapered hole in the frame bracket where the ball joint is attached gets worn loose, or the ball joint itself may be worn out. Have someone turn the steering wheel with you under the front end looking for lateral body/axle movement. There shouldn't be any since the track bar is intended to maintain lateral location of the axle with respect to the chassis. If it is worn out then the axle shifts sideways instead of turning the wheels.

Lawn Cher' said:
Check where it bolts both to the axle and the frame... sometimes the hole in the axle bracket eggs out and sometimes the tapered hole in the frame bracket where the ball joint is attached gets worn loose, or the ball joint itself may be worn out. Have someone turn the steering wheel with you under the front end looking for lateral body/axle movement. There shouldn't be any since the track bar is intended to maintain lateral location of the axle with respect to the chassis. If it is worn out then the axle shifts sideways instead of turning the wheels.

Thanks LC! I'll check it tonight if the wife cooperates....

While you're checking the track bar ends for play also check all of the tie rod ends for play and the bolts on the steering gear box.

Tom R. said:
While you're checking the track bar ends for play also check all of the tie rod ends for play and the bolts on the steering gear box.

Ive had 3 2.5 MJ's with manual steering and all have had tons of play.... never have really looked into why LOL

That being said They all have had the same symptoms...about 4 to 6" of play in the wheel BEFORE it has any tension on the system...Im thinking is the steering boxes...maybe time to go power steering

Back