• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff cover fill hole

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I am finishing up my rear cover, and need to know what size hole I should drill and tap? What should I use for a plug? Just curious what yall have used.....
j

Weld on a bung and use a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT pipe plug.

Gear lube is over rated.....a plug hole will just put a weak point in the cover. Just cover it up and call it good.

Yea definately NPT plug

What do you mean by a bung? Cant say I know what that is....
I am assuming I can get this at teh hardware store?
Thanks for the help.
j

Do you have an air compressor? Look on the tank where the plumbing fittings are screwed in... notice the thicker ring welded to the thin material of the tank to provide adequate thread engagement... that, my friend, is a bung.

cornholio.jpg

Yup, got a compressor- makes sense. That picture is exactly what was gonig through my head when I read that. So, get one at a hardware store?

Dunno. The pipe plug definitely, but you may need a plumbing specialty place for the bung. You could make one easily enough with the right tap and a short piece of steel barstock.

Back