• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier questions

kunaji

Essayons
I'm going to be regearing my Dana 44 and Dana 30 axles in the near future and since I'll be going from 3.55 to 4.56 I have some questions. On ebay alot of the Dana 44 carriers claim you can just use a thicker gear when going from 3.55 to 4.56. What is the truth of this and if true, would it hold true for the Dana 30 also? Or are the thick gears the tj gears? My current plans are an aussie locker in the rear and a trutrac up front.

Some manufactures do have thick gears for the D44 but I haven't seen any for the D30. Yukon makes down to a 4.88 for the low pinion 44 (including a set for the Rubicon TJ).

thick gears for the d44 are the corvette gears as well as the isuzu gears...

thick gears for a HIGH PINION d30 would be great to find...

an empty carrier is like 50.00 and i garantee that thick gears and different pinions for the thicker gears would cost that much more than the normal gears... and if you dont want to move your spiders over from the old carrier to the new, then throw an aussielocker and do away with thrustwashers and spider gears...

Sorry dude but I have to call SPOBI...
corvette gears are not thick. they are D44 HD gears for the aluminum housing. that gearset fits the grand D44, Vettes, vipers and jags. and not the cast D44's in jeeps.
not sure about the Isuzu because I have not handled them.
the D44 thick gearset is a less expensive option when regearing to higher ratios and leaving the diff open or using a lunch box locker.
TJ D44's are the same as XJ D44's. TJ D30's are a low, short pinion. CJ D30's are low, long pinion. XJ D30's are the high pinion. and there are no thick gears available to date for the D30.

according to your plans, youll need the truetrac, ausie, d30HP gearset, D44 thick 4.56 gearset, and install kits. decent setup but I would spend the extra coin on the D44 via a detroit locker and leave the front open till funding allows for you to get a detroit in the front. but thats my opinion. and who am I?...
XJ_ranger said:
thick gears for the d44 are the corvette gears as well as the isuzu gears...

thick gears for a HIGH PINION d30 would be great to find...

an empty carrier is like 50.00 and i garantee that thick gears and different pinions for the thicker gears would cost that much more than the normal gears... and if you dont want to move your spiders over from the old carrier to the new, then throw an aussielocker and do away with thrustwashers and spider gears...

Back