• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-Slip install...FROM HELL!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I've been in the garage most of the day, and the XJ's still up on jackstands.:(
I recieved the No-Slip direct from Richmond a few weeks ago, and found that they'd sent a 27-spline coupler and a 29-spline one. They finally sent me another 29-spline one last week, and I got started this morning.
First of all, I could NOT see a way to remove the Trackloc guts without pulling the carrier. I didn't have any small springs like the instructions said; mine were long steel clips that had to be destroyed to remove them. I had to have the gears reset, due to the carrier adjusters being against the bearings and coming out with the carrier!:mad:
OK, carrier back in, gears set, time to install the locker. I finally got it in there, but I couldn't do it acording to the directions. I actually had to machine down the outside of the c-clips. It passed the tests, so I filled it up w/Mobil1, and backed out of the driveway. I heard a slight bang. I'd had this noise before on a No-Slip, so I didn't think much of it. Driving straight down the road, the XJ pulls hard to the right when I'm on the gas. This is NOT a good sign. I jacked the rear up again after I got home, and the passanger-side wheel was not locking at all. (unlike the test!)
I pulled it back apart, and found a broken tab on one of the rings. I also found that the same ring fit VERY tightly in the coupler, unlike the other side. BUT, the ring fit FINE in the 27-spline coupler that I got at first.:mad:
So the No-Slip has to go back, and I'm dead in the water. I can't reinstall my clutches in the Trackloc, as i have no holding pins anymore.:cry: :flamemad:
Anyone know what I did wrong?? I had a mechanic helping me that works at a driveline shop, and has done plenty of these. I've done 3 myself, and NONE of them were this bad.
I think I need to just go somewhere and :passgas:

Im not sure if you did anything wrong!Theres a guy here that just had the same thing happen on his 2001.He had it in for about a week,the story goes that theyre having some manufacturing issues right now.He broke the exact same part!

Just a quick question....Did all XJ's come with a factory TracLoc? I have a 96 country modle, does that have one in it? D30 front/D35 rear, 3.55 gears, 242 tcase, automatic.........Thanks guys fred

Installed a No-Slip in the Corp 8.25 with TracLoc over 2 years ago.
To remove the clutch packs from the carrier; you should not need to remove the carrier. The process to remove them would be to remove the bolt retaining the center pin, slide out the pin put the transmission in gear and rotate the tires slowly in the CCW direction and the spider gears will drop out, then pull out the C clips and slide the axles out about 2" and pop out the side gears and clutch packs with retaining clips intact. Worked for me.
Grinding the C clip 90* edges in a must to slide them into the oval notch in the No-Slip side gears.
When I assembled the side gears and sliders I applied grease to hold the assembly together so that the tab and notch stayed meshed otherwise there would not be enough space for the Zytanium center pin.
I too added synthetic gearlube which has made the operation of the No-Slip almost totally undetectable on asphalt. Tire pressure, sharp turns and driving a stick shift are factors to be dealt with while driving with a locker.

did the little metal test block they give you test out to be fine? The only thing I'm thinking is you put the thrust washers back in, when they should've been thrown away. And, why didn't you put the no-slip in while the carrier was out, it would've been 100 times easier. Hope everything works out for you. _nicko_

It has to be installed w/ the carrier in the car,this is a C-clip axle!

I removed the carrier to remove the guts of the Trackloc. The No-Slip WAS installed after reinstalling the carrier.

Good luck

I just went through this except on an open carrier in my '99. Exact same diagnosis. Keep on them, Richmond Gear, or else they will lag. I was on them every week, to see if they got it, what it's status was, etc. I heard every excuse in the book and finally got it almost 2 months later, not the 4-5 day turn they commited to. :mad:
I was told they had some issues with manufacturers defects on parts they got when they bought PowerTrax and were trying to straighten them out. Thsy also said there were carrier variances that were giving them grief.
First issue is use the address below to send it in as my books warranty return address did not list a street and UPS was going to send it back, a 5 day turn around:

1208 Old Norris Road
P.O. Box 238
Liberty SC 29657

My new unit does work excellent and it is a great product , they just have some service issues to work out.

Bill --

I suggest you head for a junk yard and grab an open carrier to pop in there while you wait out the warranty issues. Either that or just buy a complete axle and put it under the Jeep until you get the other one back together right.

When I did my No Slip on my '99 one of the c-clips fit and the other, well, not quite. Rather than grind it, i just put the clip in the vice and closed it a little bit. No problems after that and it is seamless. I would buy a No Slip 100 times over. For the 8.25 it is your best option.

Bummer, I'm wating for something like that to happen to mine so I can tell my wife "now I have to get a dana 44" :D

BillR

If it makes you fell better my first no-slip failed like yours. I sent mine back and had the new one in 4 days. I didn't have any c-clip issues on mine. This is the 8.25 rear.

I just dropped it at the PO, and it will be at Richmond on Wednesday.
We'll see what happens...:(

Back