• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable LCA's and UCA's at 3"?

Citat3962

NAXJA Forum User
So in the interest of avoiding Death Wobble in the first place I'd like to invest in whatever control arms I'll need to do this lift right.

I saw the Control arm length chart and I gather my Stock Lower Control arms are 15.75" long and the optimal length for them at 3" of lift is 16"

The chart says the best length for the UCA's at 3" is 15" long....

For the life of me I can't find anywhere in all the CA posts I searched, what the stock UCA length is, or if I'll need adjustable uppers with a 3" lift.

It seemed to me I'd have minimal issues with pinion angle at that height but that one or the other, adjustable uppers or lowers, would allow me to set my castor to help with steering issues and Death wobble.

I saw one mention from a blue namer that said at 3" I could use the stock control arms as long as the rubber bushings are all in good shape..

Do I need both upper and lower control arms with 3" of lift?

or just one set?

upper or lower?

or can I just buy bushings for the stock control arms and be done? \

(bushings cost almost as much as one set of arms so if one set would be more helpful I'll go with those.)

Thanks in advance for any help I want to order my parts today... shooting for a June install date after I get everything I need to do the job.

I ran for a while at 3" with the stock control arms. Personally, I wouldn't bother going to adjustables at 3" unless you know you're going higher. My theory is adjustable lowers at 4.5" and both uppers and lowers at 5+".

You've got the right idea on the stock bushings. It's a lot less headache to buy the replacement arms.

Later on after I'm ready to go a little bigger I plan to put in an RE4.5 but that's the biggest I'll go..

Thanks for the tip man

i think I'll go with a set of adjustable lowers since I can get such a spankin deal on them and keep an eye out for some late model stock UCAs to replace mine. That way I'll still have the right CAs when I do go bigger.

I went up somewhere between 3-4.5" and went with (adjustable)LCAs only. Lost the left UCA within a month and the right about 6 months later. Therefor I am assuming that even with new LCAs, the UCAs have more than normal loads. Eventually you will need both, I would do it right the first time.

Shogun

Citat3962 said:
"lost" the UCA??

What happened to it?

Did it bend? or did it start wobbling or what?

Did you bend it wheelin or driving daily?

Yes, very curious as well!

Daily Driving.

The left side would loudly clunk under moderate braking in one direction, then under slightly moderate acceleration it would clunk back to position.

Then the right side went and it would crunch under any up/down motion. Front end was unstable, similar to driving in a heavy crosswind. Very much steering input reqd and lots of left/right swerving.

Just picked it up with new UCAs. Not aligned yet but much more stable ride.

Shogun

Back