• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering / lift / skid plates / bumpers / brakes

skatehack

NAXJA Forum User
I saved up all of my questions for one post. I recently bought a 2k cherokee sport. It has a 3" teraflex lift on it already, and some tore up 31" bfg mt's. The track bar is toast, the rear shocks are nearly non existant, and there is zero body armor on this little girl.

So, here are the questions.

Steering - Since the track bar is so haggard and it's had death wobble for an unknown amount of time, I am considering replacing the drag link, tie rod, stabilizer, and anything else that looks like it may need it as well. Rustys stuff looks good, but I would like a second opinion. I have been off of the jeep market for a couple of years, and I am not up to date on the good and the bad of everything/everyone.

Suspension - I need to replace the rear springs. It currently has a helper spring in the back, and it is sagging. I would like to throw a good lift spring in there to match the 3" coils in the front. Who should I go with and why? What's the best place to pick up some shocks?

Skid Plates - I need them all... rocker, gas, engine, t-case. Who's got the best deal?

Bumpers - I need a rear bumper with a swingout. I would like to mount the hi-lift there, and a jerry can. That, and I need it to have an integrated, rated tow hitch. I don't want one that squesks like mad. Who would you recommend? I won't tow often, but when i do, I will be pulling 100+ foot rolls of carpet on a 6'x10' flatbed.

EDIT: Brakes - I nearly forgot. Should I get my new rotors at autozone, or should I spend up a tad and get something better? Any suggestions on where to get performance rotors/pads?

I think that about covers it. Thanks in advance for your input! :)

brian

Last edited:
skatehack said:
anyone???
We're busy using the SEARCH feature to answer all of your questions.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:looser:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

skatehack said:
Actually, I did search. I thought this would be a good forum... maybe I was wrong.

This is a good forum (NAXJA is more than just a forum, BTW) you just gotta put a little effort into it... the information is all here for the taking.

I hope you have a fat wallet. Aftermarket tire carrier/bumpers are roughly 700 bux. Armor......you're looking at another g. Go to boneyards are look for xj's with stock armor, take it off and you'll save a shitload. As far as rusty's, I recommend their items. They ship quick, and get the order right. Good Luck Fella.

steering: Currie is best if you are looking for a "bolt on" solution. We could spend hours getting into other options. You could move to all WJ hardware which would net better brakes as well as better steering.

lift: I'd shy away from rustys, too many horror stories, talk to the one of our great vendors about getting yourself a Rubicon express superflex kit. Jeepinoutfitters, DPG Offroad, FullsizeXJ gear, Rawbrown. All of these guys can get you what you need at a great price.

Skidplates: Get an aftermarket Tcase skid, they are worth the money. Dirks (DPG) is bad ass and stout. I run a Skidrow one and am happy with it. Get a factory gas tank skid and plate it with more heavy metal if you are worried, but the factory is fine. I am not a fan of front engine / tranny skids.

Bumpers: Talk to AJ at ajsoffroadarmor.com

Brakes: just get the stuff from autozone, the only way to REALLY improve the braking is by converting to 1ton brakes.

Next time dont post so many questions in one post, and also check out the search function, its a wonderful tool hasta

Steering -

Going with all of the currie parts, I would be looking at spending about seven hundred dollars.

If I go with Rusty's, I will be shelling out about six hundred dollars, and I would be 'upgrading' the steering with the tie-rod conversion.

As of now, I think Rusty has my money. I had the currie set up on my TJ, and it was solid. I dunno... I'll have to think on this one.

Bumpers - The shop up the road from me has a wilderness rack. It won't cover the sides behind the rear tires, but I can fab that later.

Lift - I just need the rear spring pack. I think I am going to go with RE.

Skids - The DPG t-case skid looks nice. I could go get a factory skid and beef it up, but I would rather gett the kilby. I hate dropping tanks, and I would rather have something that is proven. (Me beefing up a tank skid is not proven by any means)

Brakes - I figured autozone, I was just wondering if there was any benefit to getting cross drilled or slotted rotors. I could care less what the look like, but since I will tow from time to time, I thought that if it would make a difference, I had might as well do it now. Granted, I will have trailer brakes, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Back