• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never had this happen before...

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
I was coming out of the Jeep dealership today (picking up a second trail rated badge for the XJ, ha) and as I was comin down the road I saw a county worker in a ::cough:: INFERIOR ::cough:: Chevy Blazer stuck in some mud on the side of the road (damn electric 4x4). My XJ, though originally white is now that familiar beautiful shade of natural brown, so I decided I'd pull up and give him a hand. I hooked him up, put it in low, and pulled him out. Now comes my inquiry. After he left and I shifted back to 2wd, I pulled out onto the pavement and noticed that my throttle response was GONE. I can floor the gas and it accelerates like a geo Metro. The r's appear as though I'm just casually accelerating. It still drives fine, but MAN I will NOT drive without that great XJ pick up! Please somebody...my baby's weak. Help me make her better. '91 XJ Limited 4x4 4.0L
Thanks!
Andy

Probably because you just bought a "trail rated" badge.

Are you sure it is in 1st gear?

(assuming AW4)

I saw an XJ at the salvage yard the other day that had push button 4 wheel drive. Never seen it before.

I didnt look to see what transfer case it had.

Brian

Well, I just drove to work and it was acting normal again. ???? Anybody have any idea what would cause that? Yea, I'm sure it was in first gear. It's an auto tranny. I really need to figure out which one it is, because I forget to mention that every time I get on here...hmm...Anyway, just curious. And hey, I like my trail rated badges, lol!

Teh T/C is easy to figure out. If you have 2high-4high-N-4low then 231, if you got 2high-4high(part time) 4-high (full time)-N-4low then it's a 242, and if some idiot swapped in a 4 Full Time-N-4 low then you got a 249. As far as the sluggishness the only thing I can think of off hand that would have been related with the use of 4low is a loose wire on the tranny that got bumped with the movement of the T/C lever causing it to start out in 3rd instead of first. There are threads on the manual controol of the AW4 that might help you trace wires if you think that might be it. Also you might want to take a look at one of them to see which wire controls the first/third solenoid.

freewithfire said:
I really need to figure out which one it is

AW4, the only automatic available behind the 4.0 liter in a XJ/MJ.

Yeah that's what I figured on the tranny. Good to know info on that Tcase though. I'm runnin a 242 then. Like I said, it's back to normal now but that's good information to have on board if it ever does that again. Thanks as always guys.

Could be you just really overheated the tranny from pulling that fat-a$$ed Chevy out, and it slipped until it recovered. I'd check the fluid and make sure level is up and it isn't burned.

Could be worse. I once tried to pull a Chevy truck out of a ditch with a chain and bent both the axleshafts in my D35!

Matthew Currie said:
Could be you just really overheated the tranny from pulling that fat-a$$ed Chevy out, and it slipped until it recovered. I'd check the fluid and make sure level is up and it isn't burned.

Could be worse. I once tried to pull a Chevy truck out of a ditch with a chain and bent both the axleshafts in my D35!
you hitched to the axle?

Back