• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash 'pods'

chameleo78

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 94 sport. I'm replacing the bezel that goes arond the guages and radio/HVAC controls. It was broken when some morons tried to get the good head unit I used to have in there. My question is what 'pod' or control goes just to the left of the steering wheel? On the original bezel there is a square filler there, but on the new one it is open. There is a plug in the dash in this location, but I obviously never had what goes there. The 'pods' I'm referring to start on the left with the headlights, then my blank one, on the other side of the wheel is the rear wiper, and the cigarette lighter. Depending on what it is can I add it to my Jeep? Is there more than one thing that may have gone in there? I can get a picture if anyone wants it. Thanks.

There is a switch on 91 and older xj's with an auto to change the shifitng from power to comfort. The blank must have come from an older one.
-Steve D

As far as I know, it'll be the same as a '93 I got my header panel out of had the same bezels as my '90, so I'm gathering the '94 is about the same?

The short answer it sounds like either the foglight switch or rear defroster switch.. Look at the back of that bezel panel. Does it have two holes for switches? [Pics always help if you have].

The long anwser, if you have all of them installed, you'll have on the left, headlight switch, then fog light and finally defrost closest to the steering column. On the right working outwards, you'll have transmission power switch for auto [It's been said on here somewhere that with the '91's going HO the did away with that one], then you have the rear wiper switch, then the next panel is the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter.

Now depending probably on what parts were available, where the XJ was assembled, etc, you can have two different style bezels on them. The back is the same, but some have a the unused switch hole covered by the thick plastic front they put on, and some have just blanks put in.
Check your XJ's manual, and it should tell you exactly what is there, and what could be there. Another thing, it is possible to add these afterwards, and many times the wiring will be there. For instance, I added the factory foglight switch and relay, but the pigtail and wiring to the the front drivers side where the front light harness connects was already in place. I just had to add the switch, and the relay on the other end and it was good to go. Another example of this is putting in my overhead. My Pioneer didn't come with one, but I found hidden up under the dash the connector for it that would connect to the harness running from the kick panel upinto the headliner.

iBran is correct. StuckXJ is in error -90 to maybe 87 and it is next to the steering column on the right next to the wiper switch. The "Pod" to the left is always per iBran.

The other issue may be the panel's ability to light up the Icon that is normally in the panel Holt the pod unit up to a light and see what shines through.

chameleo78 said:
Mine doesn't have the rear defroster or fog lights so that sounds like the winner. Thanks all.

Glad you got it worked out.
What you could consider doing if you aren't going to try adding a rear defroster or such, is use factory foglight switches/relays and add extra lights to your rig using that bezel. Perfect place for it. All my extra lights I've added using the factory switches/relays. Just had to put them in the lower dash is all to do so, but if you have the blanks already there, makes it much easier.

They probably flipped the defroster to the right side when they got rid of the trans power switch more than likely. Nice that it leaves the left side to add your own in.

If it has switches, the panel to the left of the steering column is a separate part that screws into the dashboard just the mirror image of the one on the right. The bezels with a blank-off plate there were not designed to accept switches. You should be able to find one of those switch mounts at a u-pull junkyard, or post in the Wanted section of the classifieds and maybe some member who is dismantling an XJ can send you one.

Back