• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best insertable locker for rear D44

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
I am pulling out my old D35 and putting in a XJ D44. This is a very clean axle with 3.54's (same as the D35) so it should be a pretty straight forward swap. It has an open carrier so, I want to put an insertable / lunch box locker in it for now. Eventually, I'll regear with 4.56's and put in a full Detroit but, I'm only running 31's now.

Aussie Locker, EZ-Locker, or Other ?

I've never had any problems with my powertrax lock right, and there a dime a dozen on ebay... mines been in for about 4 years, 35k, and still shows no wear....

I'm running a Lock Right in my D44. If I had to do it over I would put in an Aussie Locker. The Lock Right works well and was easy to install, but it can be a pain on the street, especially at low speeds. It clicks a lot (which I expected, but is pretty loud) and w/ the manual tranny it tends to lock and unlock a lot in parking lots. Nothing too bad, just gets annoying. But then again, you can probably get a Lock Right quicker and cheaper than an Aussie. I got my D44 locker from Jegs (was $208 shipped) and my D30 locker from Performance Off-Road Center w/ free shipping. Good luck!

I like the Powertrax No-Slip. It is essentially a synchronized Lockrite so it is far less noisy.

aussie lockers seem to have the best tolerance and manufacture out there...

check over on PBB, (not in jeep tech) there was a recent thread about aussies holding up to different amount of romping...

personaly - i am going to get an aussie for my front d44...
here is a thread all about them:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167389&highlight=aussie+locker+update

but - that is what i will run, havent even got the d44 in yet, much less gears and lockers...

My .02, if you're going to replace everything later, just have the spiders welded. Thats mostly free and very predictable on the road. Yes it will accelerate tire wear, just keep them rotated and you'll be fine.

3XJFamily said:
I am pulling out my old D35 and putting in a XJ D44. This is a very clean axle with 3.54's (same as the D35) so it should be a pretty straight forward swap. It has an open carrier so, I want to put an insertable / lunch box locker in it for now. Eventually, I'll regear with 4.56's and put in a full Detroit but, I'm only running 31's now.

Aussie Locker, EZ-Locker, or Other ?
glad you like it. I traded my xj for another xj with a AW4.

Back