• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the yellow arrow indicator light for?

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
This light is on the left side of the instrument panel; it turns on once and a while and then turns off if I shift to next gear or if I stop accelerating. It sounds to me as if it was an "upshift indicator", however, I'm not sure and I don't have the owner's manual, so I just want to be sure nothing's wrong with my XJ.

The truck is a 1988 Cherokee Pioneer 4 litre, 5 speed manual tranny.

Regards

Its the "upshift light" it tells you when the computer wants you to shift. I guess its based on engine speed and also if you accelerate harder it goes off for a moment. I ignore it and shift when I damned please (using common sense driving ability) since it seems to come on randomly.

That's exactly why I'm asking... It comes on in some strange situations, so I was wondering if something's wrong... But if it is normal for this light to come up almos randomly, I will just ignore it.

I just wanted to be sure it's what I thought it was for...

It should come on at about 1600 rpm. For the Renix motors, this is what the factory recommends for maximum fuel economy.

Fred

Fred said:
It should come on at about 1600 rpm. For the Renix motors, this is what the factory recommends for maximum fuel economy.
Just wait 'til it comes on while you're in 5th...:D

Second light from the top on the left of the dash? Looks kind of like an arrow pointing up? Mine comes on, when I turn the key to the run position and goes out when the motor is running, unless the alternator is crapping out. I decided, it was supposed to be a picture of a garage and was telling me to find one soon. I have an auto and an export XJ, don´t know if the export part is relevant, but I don´t remember ever noticing it, on my 87, 4.0 auto, US model Pioneer.
I´m not finding my owners manual, so I can´t tell you what it says.

Yucca-Man said:
Just wait 'til it comes on while you're in 5th...:D

Yeah, it does, doesn't it. :laugh3:

Been driving it for 13 years, and I don't see it anymore. :laugh3:

Fred

Yah - it's an "Upshift Indicator." Foolish thing - it's supposed to help with fuel economy, but I found out that I seem to know more about getting fuel mileage than it does. It's really going to get confused when I re-gear someday...

Meanwhile, if you get too tired of it, you can just pull the bulb out next time you're in the panel - it won't cause any trouble by its absence. I put up with it until it was time to change instrument lighting, then got rid of the thing.

Ignore it - it will go away (when the bulb burns out...)

5-90

Probably is an up shift indicator, but I swear twice now, I noticed it on, when I was driving (AW4) and when I checked my gauges the volt meter was down in the red. Maybe it´s just one of those XJ quirks.

On the 97+'s it is triggered by manifold vacumn.

As everyone else has already noted, it is an upshift indicator. Ignore it -- if you pay attention to it, it'll have you going up a steep hill at 20 MPH in 5th gear.

I removed the bulb from mine years ago.

Yeah, I feel it tells me to shift too early in most cases... It depends on how much you accelerate, but in many cases I feel like I will be going in 5th at 30-40mph, which I feel is not a good way to drive a car...

Finally I can actually tell someone how to fix something.

You're going to need some grade-8 1/4" black electrical tape. Don't use too much, or it can cause collateral damage. Cleanly cut (don't bite) a 1" piece from the roll and apply directly to the clear plastic over the "upshift indicator."
This should solve the problem semi-permanently. If the "upshift indicator patch apparatus (UIPA)" fails, simpl re-apply as per the directions above. If you experience any amber light leaking around the UIPA, it's just your transmission telling you it's happy.:)

When I converted the MJ to a automatic, the screwy thing kept coming on, then goes off when the auto shifts. I'm thinking of re-naming the MJ "Christine"........
This is one of those Jeep things that no one understands hasta

tsgtbob said:
When I converted the MJ to a automatic, the screwy thing kept coming on, then goes off when the auto shifts. I'm thinking of re-naming the MJ "Christine"........
This is one of those Jeep things that no one understands hasta
all it is is a Vac. switch that comes on when Vac is low....Like when punching it down.

BruteXJ said:

You're going to need some grade-8 1/4" black electrical tape. Don't use too much, or it can cause collateral damage. Cleanly cut (don't bite) a 1" piece from the roll and apply directly to the clear plastic over the "upshift indicator."
This should solve the problem semi-permanently. If the "upshift indicator patch apparatus (UIPA)" fails, simpl re-apply as per the directions above. If you experience any amber light leaking around the UIPA, it's just your transmission telling you it's happy.:)

Brute's tip works on those pesky RENIX "maintnance due" lights too.

BruteXJ said:

woot_emoticon.gif
woot_emoticon.gif
woot_emoticon.gif

allhail.gif

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Great answer ! ! ! ;)

Maybe it ought ta be in the "TECH" section.

Back