• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage drop with 30's? And will they fit?

cainraiser21

NAXJA Forum User
I have 225x75x15's, and am going to put on a set of 30x9.5x15's. I was wondering if I will notice any drop in my gas mileage. I have a 2000 chrysler 8.25 29 spline in the rear and am not sure whether it has 3.55's or 3.73's.

Also I have heard that 30x9.5's won't rub without lift. Is this accurate? If not, I do have a set of .75" shackles and spacers that I can throw on.
Any suggestions?

cainraiser21 said:
I have 225x75x15's, and am going to put on a set of 30x9.5x15's. I was wondering if I will notice any drop in my gas mileage. I have a 2000 chrysler 8.25 29 spline in the rear and am not sure whether it has 3.55's or 3.73's.

Also I have heard that 30x9.5's won't rub without lift. Is this accurate? If not, I do have a set of .75" shackles and spacers that I can throw on.
Any suggestions?

You will notice a gas drop only because your speedo will be off. Bigger tires ='s less mileage on the odo. So it will appear you are going less miles for the same amount of gas. Most likely about 10% less.

a.) they should fit. Ok, they rub when you hit a speed bump while doing a donut big deal.
b.) the gas mileage should not be affected dramatically
c.) there should be a small tag on the cover of the axle identifying the gear ration
d.) I run 30's and I am still trying to find a reason to believe my speedo is off by any noticeable amount. The circumferance difference is not that much but the do seem taller, maybe don't collapse as much.

Back