• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Shim location

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I talked to Randy's ring and pinion and their technician told me that the pinion shim was in front of the bearing race. However when i took it apart i found the shim between the bearing and the pinion. I have a Chrysler 8.25 and its on a '99. I just wanted to make sure that the pinion was in the right spot. If the shim was placed in the wrong spot by whoever worked on the car before i bought it i need to know now. Any info would be great. thanks.

The '00 FSM shows and describes the shim as going between the pinion head and the bearing. I always thought the shims went under the bearing seat in the housing, but I guess not for the 8-1/4" axles.

THe shim can either press on with the bearing on the the pinion shaft or underneath the bearing cup in the housing. what will dictate it is the shims that you recieve in the kit. the kits from Randy's will locate the shim under the bearing cup. which I feel is a better setup then pressing it onto the pinion because it keeps the pinion against the bearing for more strength.

Rawbrown that makes sense however the shims they gave me are way to small to go infront of the bearing cups. They fit around the pinion shaft perfect. I will prob call randy's ring and pinion tomarrow and see if they can send me the shims that go infront of the bearing cups. That method is also much easier to set it up correctly.

wait a minute... switch that, reverse it... the Randy's shims for the 8.25 is correct. they do put them under the bearing cone. don't know why I was thinking Dana spicer.
which Rep did you talk to so that I can poke at him...

Got off the phone with randys ring and pinion. They are sending me over a set of shims to place in the rear between the housing and bearing cups. They also are sending a set of shims for the d30 between the housing and bearing cups. I think its much easier to place them here instead of between the bearing and pinion gear. I dont' understand why anyone would do it that way. Anyway just thought i'd let you guys know.

Back