• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sun Roof?

trekfuel80

NAXJA Forum User
i just did a search and nothing helpful came up. so can you all tell me if its hard to seal out rain with a custom(sawzaw and me) sun roof job? or any other problems i might run into?

trekfuel80 said:
i just did a search and nothing helpful came up. so can you all tell me if its hard to seal out rain with a custom(sawzaw and me) sun roof job? or any other problems i might run into?

Contact GSequoia and ask him which sun roof he got. It all comes down to buying the right one which has made provisions for the ridges in the roof and being carefull during the instal.

I bought a used sunroof from a salvage yard.

All I have to say is get one that will work with the ridges in the roof. (mine doesn't. If it's raining outside, it's soon to be raining inside.)

I actually used tin snips to open my roof. I started with the sawzall, but things got to bouncing too much. A metal cutting blade in a jig saw might be a better choice.

Daryl

XJs that came with a factory sun roof had the raised ridges for the luggage carrier stopped short of the sun roof. XJs w/o sun roof had the ridges the full length of the roof. Retrofitting a sunroof to one with the full-length ridges makes it difficult to seal effectively.

Of course -- IMHO a sunroof is nothing but a hole in the roof to admit water anyway (it's a rare installation indeed that doesn't leak), so fire up the sawzall if that's what your heart desires.

Back