• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case outputshaft play specification? [Photo]

willyb

NAXJA Forum User
After installing the RE H&T on my '97's 242 I noticed some lateral play in the rear outputshaft. It's not much (1/8" MAX.) But it does have me wondering if it should be there... Does anyone have any specifications on this?? Or does anyone have any experience wiht this?? Thanks.

Will.

Here's a photo. The arrow represents the movement of the play...

Click to enlarge

Anybody??? The bolt holding the RE Flange onto the outputshaft is tight. Where the washer and snapring are on that flange there is some play...

Someone go crawl underneath there rig and let me know!!! TIA

Will.

The proper term for what you describe is AXIAL play, not lateral play. I searched the FSM for a spec on axial play, and could find none. I assume that your XC was not making noise before the hack and tap, right?

If so, then the play you detect was NOT caused by the hack and and tap, and should be OK as is.

I don't believe it's axial. I'm not too concerned about the output shaft, as I am the SYE - There is a small (but enough to concern me) amount of play between the RE Flange, and the washer that is held in by the snap ring.

There is very little play in my outputshaft - the SYE is what worries me...

Will.

Back