• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjusting Transfer Case linkage...

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i removed my old TC, and got a brand spanking new TC from mopar;P how do i go about adjusting the linkage? how do i know where its at????

Here's how I did my '90:

Shift lever into 4-Lo, crawl under vehicle and ratchet the TC shifter to 4-Lo position and tighten the lock nut on the shaft linkage.

Then shift to 2wd and crawl under vehicle and see if you can spin the front shaft with out the back shaft moving. If so your all good.

If the front drive shaft moves the back shaft then its in 4-hi and you need to loosen the linkage nut again and shift the TC into 2wd and tighten. Then go back and check 4-lo again. You need to keep checking until all positions are good and verified by spinning the shafts.

I don't have my service manual at hand, but the basic procedure recommended is pretty much like machine man's, but step three is important: loosen the trunnion bolt on the linkage, and then shift into 4 low with the lever, and then go underneath, and make sure by turning the shaft that comes out of the TC that the TC is fully engaged in 4 low. Now tighten the linkage, and that should do it, assuming the linkage is good.

oh, linkage is very good:) it worked few days ago with my old TC, besides that, nothing has changed, but on my old TC i took off that flat bracket off the bolt that comes off the TC, on the new one, it came with that bracket.

everything is nice and tight:) works 100%

Back