• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting problem, kinda

60thAnivrsryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Lately, whenever i start my jeep it cranks for about 10 seconds before it finally starts. It gets a little worse every time. Until the last time it happened it cranked and cranked but wouldnt start at all. I let off the key and tried again and it started right up. The strange thing is it only does this like once every two or three weeks, and just when i think the problem is gone it happens again. If anyone has any input i would appreciate it.

The crankshaft position sensor maybe going bad. It's mounted on the bellhousing on drivers side Do a search for CPS lot of info. on it badge714
Year and engine

Mine had an erratic starting problem,about once a month, it would crank and not go, a few minutes latter it would start right up. Two weeks ago, it did it, but never came back. I was thinking CPS. But it turned out to be a bad relay in the box under the hood.

Mine's a 91, I take it that yours is an 01. Is it a 4.0?

I'm not sure how simular the two would be. I traded relays for awhile to get it home.

Good Luck.

Daryl

PS. Welcome to NAXJA

had this problem and it was the tps. was showing full voltage with the throtttle closed so the computer thought i was flooring it while i tryied to start it. swapped it out and no more problems.

Back