• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this part?

MAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
If you have gauges, its the oil pressure sending unit. If you have idiot lights its the oil pressure switch.

thanks guys, that was my first guess but wasn't sure. Guess i need a new one cause i think the oil filter wrench slipped and hit it (i was using a crappy one). Can i drive without it on there or is it something that will cause an oil leak?

if it's broken off and leaks you cannot drive anywhere without pumping oil out of the engine and causing the engine to sieze from oil starvation !

I've diriven without mine with no problems. Your guage will show nothing or your light will be on. I didn't have any problems. Got a replacement at Pep or Autozone, not sure which. Very easy fix. Obviously you will want to check if you are leaking before you drive it too much. Good luck.

MAXJ said:
thanks guys, that was my first guess but wasn't sure. Guess i need a new one cause i think the oil filter wrench slipped and hit it (i was using a crappy one). Can i drive without it on there or is it something that will cause an oil leak?

jerrywagner said:
if it's broken off and leaks you cannot drive anywhere without pumping oil out of the engine and causing the engine to sieze from oil starvation !
x2... Had the same problem after letting Greasy Simian touch mine (I was pressed for time). It didn't fail until I was halfway through my roadtrip but it was spectacular when it DID fail! Also have been in communication with another Jeeper who had the whole Jeep burn as a result of oil pressure sender failure. Don't try driving it around cracked. If you don't want to cough up a few bucks for a replacement there are cheaper altenatives: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/oilsend.html

That thing went out on my Toyota, when I had my first date with the now wife. Went through 14 quarts of oil trying to keep the night from turning into "sorry we have to call this date off." I hit every store I could buying oil all night, as the leak kept getting worse. My date (now, wife) was very impressed I was risking the engine for the sake of our date. I scored a big "attitude credit" with that move.

But yes, don't risk burning the engine. Easy fix.

-Maz

I don't plan on driving around on it for a while, just wanted to know if i could make it to the autozone nearby without major oil leakage. Otherwise i have to put gas in the other beater thats filled with all my tires.

I suppose next time i should disconnect that stupid wire.

Back