• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ engine swap into?????

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I recently rolled my 99 XJ with 38k on it. Im looking for a high mileage XJ to swap everything into (LA's, axles, tcase, motor etc.) but not sure what years and makes I can throw my drivetrain into. Am I limited to 97-00 XJ's or are other years/models migraine free. Any help would be much appreciated.

wannabe said:
Oh and the new classifieds section SUCKS.

make a better one. We're waiting.... :gag:

:currently looking for a position as a critic, as it seems so fawking easy:

Last edited:
wannabe said:
Oh and the new classifieds section SUCKS.

Gee...thats very constructive, maybe you should have joined the discussion that went on about this issue in the members forum? Ohhh, you could'nt.....'cause your not a member. If you do not like it, join up and work to change it. Until then, be glad you have this FREE (to you) forum at your service.

Rev

wannabe said:
I recently rolled my 99 XJ with 38k on it. Im looking for a high mileage XJ to swap everything into (LA's, axles, tcase, motor etc.) but not sure what years and makes I can throw my drivetrain into. Am I limited to 97-00 XJ's or are other years/models migraine free. Any help would be much appreciated.

You can swap them into any year XJ.

Thats pretty much what I assumed. I thought that the 2000 would be an option also. I dont mind doing some electrical etc. but I dont know if its really worth it to me to swap the entire harness/computer. The search continues.

The 2000 will have the triple coil pack over the plugs and no distributor so the computer and other electrics are different. The '99 motor should fit but you won't have the fixing holes for the coil pack cast into the cylinder head.

wannabe said:
Thats pretty much what I assumed. I thought that the 2000 would be an option also. I dont mind doing some electrical etc. but I dont know if its really worth it to me to swap the entire harness/computer. The search continues.

Like I said, you can swap your '99 stuff into any year XJ. The only thing you need to consider is that you may need to use the '99 computer, wiring harness, and sensors depending on the model year of the recipient XJ (not necessary if it's a '96-'01 OBD II).
If you swap only the long block engine, you can use the existing computer, wiring harness, and sensors that are in the recipient XJ.

Back