• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I measure for correct shock length?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
My shocks are to short. With 6" of lift the shock is almost fully extended just how it sits. I need to get new shocks but I dont trust the guys at the 4WD shops. I have been screwed by them before. I was just wondering if someone would explain to me how I need to measure so that I can purchase the correct shocks =)
-Dustin

fdsa487 said:
My shocks are to short. With 6" of lift the shock is almost fully extended just how it sits. I need to get new shocks but I dont trust the guys at the 4WD shops. I have been screwed by them before. I was just wondering if someone would explain to me how I need to measure so that I can purchase the correct shocks =)
-Dustin

1. remove your shocks
2. flex the rig then measure the distance between the shock mounts for a compressed length
3. droop one tire down and measure the distance between the shock mounts for extended length
4. look at the shock length tables and find best compromies: I ussually try to get shocks that have the static height in the middle so that I get fairly close to each other the droop and compression (depending though on the numbers you come up with you might want to sacrifice one a bit for the other)

Places that are good for shock measurement: concrete loading docks where part of it goes down and part remains level. Also be careful when you go under the vehicle to measure.

fdsa487 said:
Where is this so called "shock length table"?:arrowr:
Go to the Rancho website, contact manufactureres, each one has their own table that shows their products. Keep in mind that if you do eye to eye for the front shock you have to substract the length required for the conversion from stud to an eye, and if you're using any BPE's you have to take those into account as well.

Do you have a BPE on your Jeep? If so what brand did you get and do you like it? If you REALLY want to hook me up you can post a link to the website where you got it. Im going to have to get one to mount the new shocks. I want to run Bilstein 7150's

fdsa487 said:
Do you have a BPE on your Jeep? If so what brand did you get and do you like it? If you REALLY want to hook me up you can post a link to the website where you got it. Im going to have to get one to mount the new shocks. I want to run Bilstein 7150's
I have a set of JKS BPE's laying in my garage, but I'm not using them because I want every single fraction of an inch of shock travel.
For front you will have to get stud conversion if you want bilstein as I don't recall them having a shock with a stud on top. JKS makes the conversion sets as well as few others.

So this is how im going to do it and tell me if it's correct. Im going to remove the shocks that are currently on the front, flex the suspension as much as it will flex using whatever means im going to be using i.e. a ramp or a fork lift. Measure the compressed side from shock mount to shock mount and write it down. Walk to the completely flexed out side measure from shock mount to shock mount, write the measurement down and then find a fitment guide on the internet that will tell me, using my measurements taken, what length shock I will need.

I have a 6in lift on my cherokee also. i just purchased shocks for mine. i got fox 11in travel shocks that are a 28 or 29 in. extended length and i have extra when compressed and extended. im not sure this would work w/ ur lift. i have a full-traction long arm, but this is what i am using
-gatlan

Back