• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel sizing

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be installing a RE 3.5 inch lift, in a few weeks and wanna get some new wheels. I am going to be running some type of aggressive AT's or mild MT's. What width wheel and backspacing would you recommend for minimual rubbage and trimmage. I was thinking about 15X8s but not sure about the backspacing. I don't want really anything that sticks out too far, it is a daily driver/weekend toy. Thanks, NICK

What size tires are you going to buy? You can do quite nicely with the OEM rims up to 31x10.50s -- beyond that you need less backspacing to reduce rubbing on the lower control arms when you turn, but you also create problems with the tires hitting the flares and sheet metal at the top of the wheelwell when the suspension compresses.

I am going to be running 31x10.5x15's.

Once you get to 31x10.50s you should consider going to less backspacing.
Depending upon what is available through the manufacturer of the rims you choose; 4.5-4.75" is the recommended backspacing.
Do not go with anything smaller or you will tear up your tires and fenders.

According to Ed Stevens' web page, 31x10.50s work on the stock OEM rims if you extend the rear bump stops slightly (about an inch). Running less backspacing clears the lower control arms but pushes the tires out so they hit the flares and sheet metal when stuffed.

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html

Back