• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Camber

All,
I have a 2000 XJ that I just sucessfully drove from San Diego to near St. Louis, MO. Now that I'm here, I managed to drive over a 2' deep "void" in the side of the road. The force was pretty significant, even popping the upper shock mount through the hole in the engine compartment.

So, shock is now loose and the pass side camber appears way off. The steering wheel is off as well, which tells me that the toe is off as well.

My question is, once the shock is replaced what can be done about the camber?

The underside looks good as does the lower control arm.

Thanks!

M Randolph
(hopefully not stranded in Mexico, MO)

If your saying you had a major impact and along with whatever else is wrong, there is a noticable camber change, the hsg. is probably bent. Not what you want to here I'm afraid.

All,

Dealer is telling me that the outer "knuckle" on the axle is bent. I've received a quote at $700 for the r&r of the outer knuckle (where the ball joints attach) and to replace the upper control arm & re-align it.

They have no clue as to whether or not the axle tube is bent & thus they are essentially guessing as to where or not this will fix it. Is there any way to determine the dimensions of the axle tube & whether or not it is bent? A jig?

Thanks for any help. I'm desperate & need this fixed before I head home on an 1800 mile trip.

M Randolph

What a rip off. If you are at all mechanically inclined you should be able to find an entire replacement axle for much less than $700 and swap it in place yourself in an afternoon. This will eliminate any questions about the straightness of your existing housing.

Just got a replacement axle for my XJ VIA AN ONLINE FORM ($800 BUCKS DELIVERED). I just want to be sure that what I have is a Dana 30 (2000 XJ 4x4, Command-Trac, Tow Package, 8.25 corp rear, non-ABS). I would hope that any differences in the ratio would be solved once I get home & swap out the diff & ring gear.

Wish me luck!

M Randolph

US-spec XJ's only came with Dana 30's, so you should be good to go. Pre' 91 Command Trak will be a disconnect version but it will still bolt up. If you have an automatic you have 3.55 gears, and manual would be 3.07.

Back