• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saving an MJ

theschwarz1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, there is a farm up the road with a slew of trucks in the field...there is an MJ there that looks a little decent...I may make an offer to "get it off his hands"...I'll try to get a pic of it....would anyone be interested in it? I know, youd rather see the pic first right??? I would like to overhaul it myself but dont know if I'd have the time or money right now...let me know if anyones interested.

You caught me at a bad time. If I had any money at all, I'd be all over it. I wish I could save every MJ I come across.

However ... not this month, and not the month after, either. :(

ok as I promised here are the pictures of the MJ....I talked to the guy and he said he wants $1400 for it (that's bull crap) He said it runs strong though it looks as though it hasnt been run in quite a while! He is the kinda guy that thinks all his cars are great , but they are just sitting on the edge of the road in his horse pasture....wasting away. I will have to say though that itlooks as if the MJ has been there for only maybe a year..well take a look and let me know....there is hardly any body rust, but I couldnt get under it to see what it looks like underneath...the bed is in alot better shape than I expected...
DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

The inspection stickers expired in 12/02.... so she likely hasn't moved in at least 2.5 years.......

I'm no expert on inspecting used cars... but it doesn't look too badly rusted or anything to me (but I can't see underneath!).

Remember... in PA, if it's parked in the weeds, it's probably because it failed inspection, or it doesn't run. If he says it runs good - there's probably a good $1k of other stuff that caused him to retire it.

Den

What are the specs? Looks like a longbed, but nothing else is known... which engine & tranny, 2wd or 4wd? Body looks real good actually, but $1400 is high for a MJ with questionable history.

Dude, Lawn, I dont know the specs, I only drove by and saw it and took pics. I thought maybe I'd post for anyone interested. If I ewas interested I woulda been all over it and would have known more for you. ANy way, its here sittin!
Good eye on the inspection sticker!!!

Upon closer inspection, it would be a '91 or '92 since the tailgate says 4.0 Liter HO. So we know it is either AW4 or AX15. The only question in my mind is the presence or absence of a Dana 30. It just might be worth the asking price if it is 4wd.

In that case I say it is a fair price. "Next to the shifter," you say... that would imply a 5-speed?! So we've got a 4.0 HO, AX15, 231 longbed MJ with a cherry body for $1400. Somebody buy this and keep it nice!

Lawn Cher' said:
In that case I say it is a fair price. "Next to the shifter," you say... that would imply a 5-speed?! So we've got a 4.0 HO, AX15, 231 longbed MJ with a cherry body for $1400. Somebody buy this and keep it nice!

Look at the weeds under the car. Theyre alive. Ok maybe things don't grow as well here than in Pennsylvania but the tires are also looking inflated. So maybe the truck will move under its own power. Looks nice, I will be in MD this summer.

theschwarz1 said:
Sorry, its not standard. I meant the automatic shifter, which is down on the floor.

Oh that's unusual, I thought most automatic MJ's had it on the column. Regardless, a nice truck. I'd buy it if I didn't already have too many.

Where in North Central PA? I see a Keystone Furd dealer sticker on the tailgate, they are in Greencastle, in South central
1400 is WAAAAAAY too much tho, I'm getting XJs outta backyards for 300-400 bux each
:piratefla

Looks better than my new $100 one......Of course for 14X the cash, it better.

88 2.5 4speed 2wd. Gas mizer(opposed to my 2.8 86 on 31's with 3.73's)

tsgtbob said:
Where in North Central PA? I see a Keystone Furd dealer sticker on the tailgate, they are in Greencastle, in South central
1400 is WAAAAAAY too much tho, I'm getting XJs outta backyards for 300-400 bux each
:piratefla
This is near Mansfield, Pa.it is about 45 min north of WIllimasport.

Back