• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 question

XJ Dana 44's can be found at U-Pull-R-Parts around here for $86.00. The regular junkyards charge from $150. to $350. for any rear axle. Most don't know or care if it is a LS and only a few know what a D44 is. It will bolt right in to any year XJ. You may need to shorten the driveshaft about 1 inch. No ABS on the D44 but you can disable ABS if your XJ has it.

Get the 44 driveshaft (or one from a Chry 8 1/4) if you are at stock height - if lifted you may want the extra 3/4" driveshaft legnth of your original shaft.

If you feel like traveling, atlanta has xj dana 44s for $65w/o brakes and $85w/complete brakes at the Pull-a-part. There is no guarantee that they will have the 44, but i did see one last time I was there.(last sunday)

also every xj 44 i have seen has been open,(doesnt mean they dont exsist), but on a 18-21 year old LS i wouldn't expect it to be in working order anyway

sixditch said:
also every xj 44 i have seen has been open,(doesnt mean they dont exsist), but on a 18-21 year old LS i wouldn't expect it to be in working order anyway

fwiw, when i first got my XJ44 it had a limited slip in it that still worked great...
it made a big difference out in moab. :)

It really depends on what type of wheeling you do mostly... You can get a normal D44 from and XJ for around 350 or less... I would find a stock trac loc and shim it up, get a set of thick gear set for the regear and wheel the you know what out of it....

btw, i still have the 3.55 gears/carrier from this D44 w/ the working traclok if anybody is interested... PM. ;)

Back