• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Rear Bumpstop ideas?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
One of my factory bumpstops is missing, and I need to extend them anyway approx. 3". Any cheapo ideas you've come up with for the rear? I got a few brewing, haven't decided yet. Ideas please!

There are some nice ones on various sites. could also hit the salvage yard. Dodge pickups I know use the same BS as an XJ pretty much.

I haven't ran bumpstops in the rear for a few years.

Some Comanche bump-stops are a bit longer.
Then stick a chunk of box tubing between the bump-stop and frame when you bolt them up. Even if you don't have a way to cut the tubing you can still do it, just go to a machine shop and ask if you can look in their scrap bin to see if you can dig up a couple of pieces the size you need.

Bump stops are a necessary part of your suspension. Their primary purpose is to keep you from blowing your shocks or damaging the body, but they also act as a lever point, transfering force from the tire being stuffed over to the drooped tire. This greatly increases the downward force on the drooped tire and improves traction.

i have the usual rusty's extended bump stops, but I am going to grab a piece of steel 3/8 ish? and match it up with the rear upper spring/axle plate. Match up the u-bolt holes and center pin hole, drill five holes and be done... the plate will hang over the axle to hit the bumpstop.. should be good for 2" or so...

Ludakris said:
i have the usual rusty's extended bump stops, but I am going to grab a piece of steel 3/8 ish? and match it up with the rear upper spring/axle plate. Match up the u-bolt holes and center pin hole, drill five holes and be done... the plate will hang over the axle to hit the bumpstop.. should be good for 2" or so...

If you can get your hands on aluminum it'll make the fab of these parts much easier.

If you don't have the metal tubing...

IMG_9200.jpg

:viking:

Would look good on my Wagoneer....

I just used some 2x4 box tubing and added the factory bumpstops to the bottom. Nowhere near as creative as the "lumber from down under".

if your bump stop extenders are made from the same material as your dog house....... you might be a red neck. LOL...LOL well gitrdun!

Back