• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 axles (s)?

alvarez919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i went to the junkyard today and i found two cherokees with 44's on them. I think the yard gets 100 bucks for them. What are some things I should be looking for. Should I pop the diff cover. Should i check for slop when turning the driveshaft? Also i know most xj's have the 35 and i know what that looks like. i;ve also looked at pics of the 8.25 chrysler. the axles on the jeeps look like 44's, but im new to all this and i can't imagine finding two in the junkyard my first time looking? I know some stamp the casing, but i saw no stamps on these cherokees. They are from a 87 and 88. the 88 was called a cherokee sunhawk. and the 88 had many leaf springs and a hitch type thing up front, which sounds like the tow package. Does anyone know anything about the sunhawk? What did the tow package consist of?
thanks guys
david

for some reason on that page they have the D44 and D60 pics rotated. They should be turned 90 degrees CCW.

If you found two I guess you are lucky. I have looked under every XJ and MJ in a 100 mile radius in salvage yards with nothing but D35s....

Yeah i did notice that those were rotated, so i guess im catching on to this diff thing....i just found it hard to believe i could find two in the yard my first time looking. Well my plan is to pull both out in the yard and examine them after they are out...what should i be looking for? what is the highest you guys would pay without being able to take it home and put it on? Also the 88 has a ton of leaf springs which i was thinking of grabbing also seeing as how mine are getting shot...will these also bolt on? do you think they are still good? i swear there are about 9-10 leafs in the rear and alll are alot thicker than mine. Do you know if these will bolt in a CJ? Otherwise let me know if you guys want me to grab one out...otherwise i figured i could ebay it for like 300????
thanks
david

Grab 'em, you can always turn 'em around for a profit at $100 each. XJ leaves are wider than CJ's, so all those leaves won't help you there. I've never heard of the Sunhawk package. A front hitch or a tow bar? If its a hitch grab that too. The tow package comes with heavy duty engine & tranny cooling, trailer wiring, full size spare tire, class 3 hitch, and supposedly heavier springs. Sometimes a Dana 44 in '87-'89 model years.

yeah i have an xj, but my buddy has a cj and i figured i'd pick it up for him, but if it doesn't fit ill just turn around and sell it. I was a little confused on whether it was a 44 or not because of the side ribbing on the two i found were different. Any suggestions for taking the leaves out for my worn XJ? what is the most you would pay for a junkyard 44 as i have no guaratees about internals???
david

alvarez919 said:
yeah i have an xj, but my buddy has a cj and i figured i'd pick it up for him, but if it doesn't fit ill just turn around and sell it. I was a little confused on whether it was a 44 or not because of the side ribbing on the two i found were different. Any suggestions for taking the leaves out for my worn XJ? what is the most you would pay for a junkyard 44 as i have no guaratees about internals???
david

I am thinking it wont "fit" for a few reasons, all of the CJ's ive seen have been 5 on 5.5 as well as spring under (factory). If the D44 came out of a XJ its 5 on 4.5 and spring over.

These are VERY minor things as you could always redrill and convert the perches, but when I see someone say "if it dont fit" it makes me thing they are not overly interested in fabbing.

Lawn Cher' said:
Grab 'em, you can always turn 'em around for a profit at $100 each. XJ leaves are wider than CJ's, so all those leaves won't help you there. I've never heard of the Sunhawk package. A front hitch or a tow bar? If its a hitch grab that too. The tow package comes with heavy duty engine & tranny cooling, trailer wiring, full size spare tire, class 3 hitch, and supposedly heavier springs. Sometimes a Dana 44 in '87-'89 model years.

good info boss......x2....the metric tonne package has a very large overload spring the others do not have.....its massive about 1/2' THICK AT THE PERCH

What part of the country are you from?? If your anywhere close to Pittsburgh send me a PM I have a freind who is looking for an D44. Hell he would probably even come help you pull it if you would want to sell one!!

alvarez919 said:
From wisconsin so if anyone is interested let me know.
Grab them if you can verify that they are D44s. Then worry about parting them out. If they are original to an 87 and 88 they won't be C8.25s but look for the Dana diamond just to be sure. The linked picture above showed the rear of a Jeep real nicely but if you need a closeup to verify with look at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

76-86 Jeep CJs used 2 1/2" wide springs in the rear like an XJ. The rear D44 from a CJ won't work under an XJ because of width, not just the bolt pattern of the wheels.

Back