• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help/questions regearing 97XJ

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked around and can't find EXACTLY what i want to know, but I currently have a 97XJ lifted 5" sitting on 31's (Trxxus, so more like 32"). I would really like to regear the d30 and 8.25 to 4.56.

Now the question is, I was looking around and saw that rusty's had a complete gear kit for front and back with overhaul kit here:

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...Product_Code=GEARSPECIAL825&Category_Code=RIN

So my question is, is there someplace or someone who can help me with how hard it will be to do this AND if this is exactly what I need to upgrade my gears? KEEP IN MIND that I offroad maybe 20% of the time.

If I missed anything or there is any information that I should know before doing this, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

are you trying to set up the rear yourself.from youre question i take it you have never done a gear install before.

if you have never done your own axle don't attempt it .the back axle takes a tool that you either have to make or buy from the stealership(cost way to much for what it is).second you will need a magnetic base dail gauge for adjusting backlash.

honestly if you have never done one just take it some where to have it done.

It sounds like it's probably all there, but they sure don't give much in the way of specifics!

I used Randy's Ring & Pinion because they have a tech line and it had been over 20 years since I'd done one. They really are a big help and know what they're talking about. Of course it also didn't hurt that one of their warehouses is located about 25 miles from where I live! :D

Robert

Chris give One TOn a pm or call and search for TKH fab he does them also. there is a guy in Dayton I'll try and find his number and pm ya

Double Down said:
Makes sense, but when you say take it somewhere, you mean a place that does gears or a jeeper who knows what they are doing?

Also, is everything that Rusty sells what I need for someone to do it right?

Thanks,

Chris

The brand Rusty's uses is Superior. Someone else will have to chime in as to the quality of that brand. I just finished doing my first gear install, wasn't too difficult and so far so good. It takes a lot of time however and I know of at least two more times that I'm going to be doing it again. Since it sounds like it's your DD, I vote for having a shop do it.
-Joe

Superior is a great brand .but i will still use Randy Ring & Pinion to order my parts the people there are good,know what they are talking about,and they will have a better chance of getting a warranty on anything that might go wrong.if you do do with the try to get Prescion Gears .very good brand and i have never had any problem with them.and yes you will want master kits for both front and back make sure they are a Timken bearings.

I just regeared my 8.25 and, other than a problem with the locker we were going to install, it was a blast! My 12 year old son and I spent the weekend working on it and we both learned a lot. Here's a couple of threads that will help.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109859
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20239&highlight=gear+install
And here's my thread...
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=34243

Get a cheap pinion bearing from your favorite parts store and use a dremel with a small sanding drum to open it up and make your own set up bearing. That way you don't have to risk damaging your good bearing by taking it off and putting it on over and over again. Fab your own adjuster tool with a 36mm nut threaded or welded onto a long rod with another nut (any size) on the other end to turn the adjusters in and out. If I had to do it again I'd make two, just to simplify the process. You can get a dial indicator and a magnetic base for around $25 at Harbor frieght, yes their tools are cheap Chinese crap, but if you break 'em it won't cost you an arm and a leg to replace.

I simply didn't have the time to do the front so I had to farm it out to a local shop.

Patience is manditory. It's going to take awhile to do it right, but it's time well spent.

Back