• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installed new brake lines, Bleeding question

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
I installed new front[frame to caliper] and rear[frame to axle]. In the process i kinked both rear lines that go to the wheels. So those need to be replaced. All the brake fluild leaked out of the entire system. Theres no fluid in the master cylinder. its all on the ground :(
So, my question is, how would I go about adding fluid and bleeding the system? My guess is install the new rear lines, bleed the master cynlinder, with all the bleeders closed, open passenger rear and gravity bleed until fluid comes out. Then manual bleed it so theres no more air, and just continue this with all 4 corners?

Yes? No? Suggestions?

You'll have to "bench bleed" the master cylinder first - ask the guys at your local parts house for a bench bleed kit and instructions on use (it's actually fairly easy.)

You won't have to pull the master cylinder to do this - just have a helper slowly pump the brake pedal until you don't get anymore air at the master cylinder.

Having done that, reconnect the lines and refill. Gravity bleeding usually doesn't happen - spend the money (about $30) on a decent vacuum kit with a hand pump (which works much better.) It will come with instructions as well.

The reason for doing the M/cyl BB first is simple - if you don't, you'll never be able to finish the job.

However, unless you want to pop for a pressure bleeder (which usually requires FINDING the damn thing!) vacuum bleeding is the way to go.

5-90

What the heck is a bench bleed kit?

When I bench bleed master cylinders, I take one length of brake line, cut it in half so I have two lengths, each with a fitting on one end, screw fittings into master cylinder, bend the ends around until they extend about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down into the reservoirs, fill it up and start pushing the peddle.

Back