• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question

skog

NAXJA Forum User
Since I am having trouble finding a dana 44 from a XJ or MJ that will bolt in i was considering swapping the shafts from a 97+ and putting in a locker? would this work?

skog

skog said:
Since I am having trouble finding a dana 44 from a XJ or MJ that will bolt in i was considering swapping the shafts from a 97+ and putting in a locker? would this work?

skog
Late model (29-spline) shafts will swap into an earlier 8.25 IF you change carriers. I don't know about leaving the old carrier in and just changing the spiders, or installing a No-Slip.:confused:

You can get used 29 spline shafts or new shafts, replace the side gears with ones for a 29 spline axle. The other option is to purchase a PowerTrax No-Slip locker and install it to replace the spider and side gears. This will provide you with the increase in axle strength up to 33" tires or 35" if you are gentle on the skinny pedal.

By the way yoiur post is worded I believe yoiu are trying to gain some strengh in yoiur rear section and here is what I have found while researching..
First off unless yoiu have a locker already I dont see a need for upgrade to better axles
second
yes the stock 29 spline are stronger thatn the 27 spline..
third
I run a lock right with 32's and 27 spline and never had a problem and yes I do hit the skinny pedal quite hard..
fourth
when yoiu get into replacing the carrier the axles and a locker you are going to spend roughly 6-7 hundred
fifth
they dont make higher grade 29 spline unless yoiu go custom
sixth
AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE
randys ring and pinion carries Yukon 27 spline axles that are 30% stronger thatn stock which puts yoiu at a stronger ratio than stock 29 spline
so why waste the money for 29 spline conversion when yoiu can order yukon axles slip them in (with or withoiut a locker) and keep on runnin without taking yoiu diff apart..
Anthony

VegasAnthony said:
(snip)
they dont make higher grade 29 spline unless yoiu go custom
Anthony

Dutchman Motorsports makes 29 spline axles(claimed stronger than stock, no personal experience on that) for $225/pair.

Back