• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 Wagoneer Limited 2.5L auto?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
My '85 XJ Wagoneer's Selec-Trac NP 229 T.C. is working, just not sure how the electric console switch affects the 4wd. I think the switch is broken, it doesn't seem to do anything? How do I check to see if the 2wd-4wd switch is working? What does it do?

It's a vacuum switch, not an electrical switch. High-range 4WD with that transfer case is full-time, using a viscous coupling so you can drive it on dry pavement in 4WD. There is no locked (part-time) high-range 4WD, although low range is locked/part-time.

check your vacuum line on the plunger that is connected to the tranfer case. See if they are plugged in. Get a vacuum tester and see if you have a vacuum leak. I also have an 85 wagoneer with a new 2.5 engine, 904 tranny, and 229 tranfer case with select trac. Mine works fine for now. When it stops working I will be taking out the vacuum switch and going with a cable activated instead. Anymore questions let me know.

If you think the switch is not controling your 4wd and you say your tranfer case is working then how are you locking and unlocking your tranfer case? Little more info please.

85xjwoody said:
If you think the switch is not controling your 4wd and you say your tranfer case is working then how are you locking and unlocking your tranfer case? Little more info please.
I have the NP229 also, with the 999 3 speed auto. My TC lever is engaging 4Low for off-road just fine. I'm not locking anything ... I just placing the vehicle in Neutral - then moving the TC lever into 4Low. I'm just not sure if the little console vacuum switch (it says 2wd/4wd) is working. It doesn't seem to make a difference while off road in 4Low?

barillms said:
I have the NP229 also, with the 999 3 speed auto. My TC lever is engaging 4Low for off-road just fine. I'm not locking anything ... I just placing the vehicle in Neutral - then moving the TC lever into 4Low. I'm just not sure if the little console vacuum switch (it says 2wd/4wd) is working. It doesn't seem to make a difference while off road in 4Low?

The 229 is a full time tc the switch just unhooks the disco 30 axle. follow the trouble shooting guide in the service manual to check out and see or put it up on stands and see if all 4 wheels turn.

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
The 229 is a full time tc the switch just unhooks the disco 30 axle. follow the trouble shooting guide in the service manual to check out and see or put it up on stands and see if all 4 wheels turn.
Reality check. I don't believe the XJs with the 228 or 229 transfer case have an axle disconnect. The vacuum switch engages 4WD high range through a switch on the transfer case.

Eagle, Yes they did.

he front axle is irrelivent here. The shift motor in the tcase needs to be checked. The switch controls the shift motor in the tcase from what I can tell in the FSM.

Ghost said:
he front axle is irrelivent here. The shift motor in the tcase needs to be checked. The switch controls the shift motor in the tcase from what I can tell in the FSM.

I agree. If he is able to shift into 4lo at anytime than he is always in 4wd. That is rough on a driveline.

I have an 86 outside with Selec-Trac -- it does NOT have an axle disconnect. However, the FSM indicates that it does. As Mr. Spock used to tell Captain Kirk -- "Fascinating."

Diagnosis, from 1986 FSM

FSM said:
SHIFT MOTOR FUNCTIONAL TEST

Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the transfer case shift motor.

Connect vacuum pump J-23738 to the shift motor front port.

Apply .51 bars (15 in.) of vacuum to the shift motor and rotate the rear propeller shaft to fully engage the transfer case in the four-wheel drive mode.

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the front port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the shift motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace the motor. If the motor does maintain the vacuum, proceed to the next step.

Disconnect the vacuum pump from the shift motor front port.

Connect the pump to the shift motor rear port, plug the front axle connecting port, and apply .51 bars (15 in.) of vacuum to the motor.

Shift an automatic transmission into park. Shift a manual transmission into first gear.

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the rear port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the shift motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace the motor. If the motor does maintain the vacuum, proceed to the next step.

Remove the cap from the shift motor axle connecting port and check for vacuum at the port. If there is no vacuum at the port, rotate the rear propeller shaft as necessary to ensure a complete transfer case engagement.

NOTE: The transfer case must be completely engaged before the shift motor stem will extend fully and open the axle interconnecting port.

If vacuum is now present at the shift motor axle connecting port, slide the boot away from the shift motor stem and measure the distance the stem has extended. The stem should extend a distance of 5/8-inch as measured from the edge of the shift motor housing to the E-ring on the stem.

If the shift motor stem does not extend the specified distance, refer to the Service Diagnosis charts.

If the shift motor stem does extend the specified distance but vacuum is still not present at the axle connecting port, replace the motor.

Thanks for posting that Eagle. That is some good info to know for the future. I never really had a problem with the shifter only the gears inside the case.

Kim.

The low range is not relevent when discussing the vacume system either. From what my manual says it is like the 231 system when you go to 4 lo you are in 4 low the viscus system is over ridden i believe. At least that is what is implied. by the way just go get a 231 and get a lower low range and be done with it. it bolts right up. Just need one with 21 splines!

Ghost said:
The low range is not relevent when discussing the vacume system either. From what my manual says it is like the 231 system when you go to 4 lo you are in 4 low the viscus system is over ridden i believe. At least that is what is implied. by the way just go get a 231 and get a lower low range and be done with it. it bolts right up. Just need one with 21 splines!

Thanks Ghost. When my 229 dies that will be my next case. I just installed a newly rebuilt 904 tranny and 229 tranfer case that I got for $100.00 from a buddy that owed me a big favor. So when they go they will be replaced with better.

Eagle said:
Reality check. I don't believe the XJs with the 228 or 229 transfer case have an axle disconnect. The vacuum switch engages 4WD high range through a switch on the transfer case.
My '85 Wagoneer Limited 229 Selec Trac has NO vacuum line to the front axle. There is a center console vacuum switch that engages straight to the Transfer Case, and that's it. I checked.

I just stepped outside and looked at my front axle and it has a hose coming out of the top right of the pumpkin in the back by the driveshaft. I think that is my breather hose. No other lines going to the tranfer case.

Back