• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping from 260x to 297x axles...question

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting the axles but are they just a direct swap, can I use my old hubs from the 260 axles? They aren't coming with the hubs so I am hoping!
Brett

bretto said:
I am getting the axles but are they just a direct swap, can I use my old hubs from the 260 axles? They aren't coming with the hubs so I am hoping!
Brett

Yes you will need to use your old hubs if older than 91 or your brakes wont line up correctly

xjnation said:
Yes you will need to use your old hubs if older than 91 or your brakes wont line up correctly

How will the brakes not line up? I'm doing this swap this weekend, i have the new shafts (1998) sitting in my back seat ready to go in.. I'm running a 1987.

-C

they are from a 98 and I have a '92. So i can use my old hubs still fromthe 260 joints with these newer axles?

bretto said:
they are from a 98 and I have a '92. So i can use my old hubs still fromthe 260 joints with these newer axles?

you can use your old hubs or your new hubs on the 98 they both use the same design. from 84 to 90 they hub bearing is recessed on the back side 1/2" on 91 and later the hub bearing is flush on the back side. The axles themselves are the same but the unit bearings are different

How will the brakes not line up? I'm doing this swap this weekend, i have the new shafts (1998) sitting in my back seat ready to go in.. I'm running a 1987.

You sill need to use the older style unit bearing. The axles shafts are fine.

xjnation said:
you can use your old hubs or your new hubs on the 98 they both use the same design. from 84 to 90 they hub bearing is recessed on the back side 1/2" on 91 and later the hub bearing is flush on the back side. The axles themselves are the same but the unit bearings are different

You sill need to use the older style unit bearing. The axles shafts are fine.

Oh, ok. You had me worried. yeah, I was planning on re-using my old unit bearings, they only have about 45k miles on them.

xjnation said:
True rotors for the 95 correct? why buy new rotors when you already have all the stuff you need to make it work
the rotors from the '88 hubs would not fit on the '95 hubs. The '95 were slightly larger. I don't know what brand the '88 rotors were, I'm sure some companies just make them all the same for every year.

Back