• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ramsey 12000E Winch...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
So, if installed properly do ya think this will rip my front end off ???

BTW it was free. Seemed like a good price at the time. NO don't tell me it won't work and to send it to you.

MVC-001F.jpg

It won't work - send it to me! :laugh3:

Seriously, it's not the winch that will pull things apart so much as the amount of load you apply. If it's properly mounted (and I'd probably want to reinforce mountings for the bumper a bit - but that's just me) you should be fine.

I doubt I'd try to pull the full 12K with the thing on a regular basis - but a loaded XJ being pulled probably tops out around 7500# or so - unless you're REALLY stuck, the it might go higher.

The big difference for you will be that you won't "stall" at the lower weight most of us do, but closer to the six tons. "Stall" is a safety feature for the winch internals - it doesn't really care what it's bolted to.

Got access to another one?

5-90

5-90 said:
It won't work - send it to me! :laugh3:

Seriously, it's not the winch that will pull things apart so much as the amount of load you apply. If it's properly mounted (and I'd probably want to reinforce mountings for the bumper a bit - but that's just me) you should be fine.

I doubt I'd try to pull the full 12K with the thing on a regular basis - but a loaded XJ being pulled probably tops out around 7500# or so - unless you're REALLY stuck, the it might go higher.

The big difference for you will be that you won't "stall" at the lower weight most of us do, but closer to the six tons. "Stall" is a safety feature for the winch internals - it doesn't really care what it's bolted to.

Got access to another one?

5-90

I wish. It was a FLUKE. Guy calls up on a Saturday to work asking if we'd buy his Ford Bronco. I said sure I'll give ya $250.00. He drove it down and even though it was running poorly I imediately saw it(the winch) and called dibs.

NOW heres the fun....He didn't have the lead to run it, and I haven't bought one yet. NOT even sure if it works. He said he NEVER used it, it was there from the guy he bought it from. So I figure when A.) I get some extra $, I buy the lead and test the thing. Apparently it ground to the bumper itself. 2.) Then I have to make a bumper to support it. Have no clue here as to how, but a couple of buddies of mine like to weld so I fiugred I'd get some tow brackets and MAYBE use them as a foundation.

The thing looks clean so I fiugre it probably will work, but I can't even find a diagram to the thing ANYWHERE.

This is a ways down the line, but I figured what the hell. The thing weighs about 75 lbs though.

12K rating is for the first wind on the spool. Pulling from the outside wind may only be 8K or less.

Im putting a MM 12K on my XJ that I used on my full size Ford F150.

MachineMan said:
12K rating is for the first wind on the spool. Pulling from the outside wind may only be 8K or less.

Im putting a MM 12K on my XJ that I used on my full size Ford F150.

I figured it might be overkill....but like I said. It was FREE! And to think I HATE working on saturdays..

The thing looks clean so I fiugre it probably will work, but I can't even find a diagram to the thing ANYWHERE.

Have you looked on http://ramseywinch.com/intro.html they have schematics and drawings.

How much of a diagram do you really need - or do you need to make a new control pendant?

I can help you with cables/leads later, since I got into the HD battery cable business. Let me know if you need a hand.

You can ground to pretty much any sheetmetal if your body grounds are good, but the closer you can get to the battery or to a nice big bolt on the block, the better. Like I said, I can help you with that if you need it.

5-90

5-90 said:
How much of a diagram do you really need - or do you need to make a new control pendant?

I can help you with cables/leads later, since I got into the HD battery cable business. Let me know if you need a hand.

You can ground to pretty much any sheetmetal if your body grounds are good, but the closer you can get to the battery or to a nice big bolt on the block, the better. Like I said, I can help you with that if you need it.

Well provided it works i guess not much of one. There is no negative lead...I figured it grounded out to the bumper...so I just make sure the contact points are clean.

I'll hit ya on the other side about leads and stuff...

red91inWA said:
Well provided it works i guess not much of one. There is no negative lead...I figured it grounded out to the bumper...so I just make sure the contact points are clean.

I'll hit ya on the other side about leads and stuff...

Do youself a favor...run a ground cable from the mounting point to the battery. Do not trust just the bumper mounts for conducting current at that amperage.

Rev

Shouldn't have much worry 'bout over heating, Unless you are trying to get three XJ's in a tree, at the same time. :)

Like Rev said, ground to the battery w/ some welding cable.

Tim

well before I get that far I think I'll try and jump start it where it sits first.

Something tells me when I do get it there....I ain't gonna want to work on it.

The bumper fab thing is gonna be fun. ( read: no practical experience in fab) or tools for that matter.

That's the winch I'm running. It's Ramsey's RE12000 worm drive and it's a bad-azz; nothing stops it. Ask anyone on the last BOTW. I "broke" one of Rick Norman's mountains in AZ with it.
The bad part;
As you can see, it's got a different mounting style. It will require a bumper that kind of wraps around it. Took a lot of CAD work to get one that worked and looked good. Do NOT do what it looks like the other guy did; using only the 4 bolts on one side. You have to mount it with all the bolt holes on BOTH sides and the worm drive on the bottom.
I can email you pics of the one I built for mine if you like (no pic hosting). Just PM me your email address.

Last edited:
red91inWA said:
I figured it might be overkill....but like I said. It was FREE! And to think I HATE working on saturdays..

That's a Jewish conundrum if I've even seen one.

kid4lyf said:
That's the winch I'm running. It's Ramsey's RE12000 worm drive and it's a bad-azz; nothing stops it. Ask anyone on the last BOTW. I "broke" one of Rick Norman's mountains in AZ with it.
The bad part;
As you can see, it's got a different mounting style. It will require a bumper that kind of wraps around it. Took a lot of CAD work to get one that worked and looked good. Do NOT do what it looks like the other guy did; using only the 4 bolts on one side. You have to mount it with all the bolt holes on BOTH sides and the worm drive on the bottom.
I can email you pics of the one I built for mine if you like (no pic hosting). Just PM me your email address.
i got a RE12000 sitting in my garage but cannt figure out how to mount it.....can i get some of those pics... [email protected] ...thanks

Back