• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hd242 T/c

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if you guys remember me talking about developing a HD 242 SYE kit. Well I found some info, and possible parts that would make it possible. The 242 case out of a 96+ H1 comes stock with a 32 spline mainshaft, and no neck down for the speedo gear, six pinion planetaries and a wider chain. Looks like if I can get my hands on one of these t/c's I can modify the mainshaft, then use a speedo collar from a 231HD kit, and some how figure out a way to modify the tail housing, I can come up with a very beefy 242 T/C. Anybody have a AMG 242 layin around???

Here's a link to the pics and info

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features/Tcase/Amg-Jeep/tcase.htm

CartsXJ said:
I am not sure if you guys remember me talking about developing a HD 242 SYE kit. Well I found some info, and possible parts that would make it possible. The 242 case out of a 96+ H1 comes stock with a 32 spline mainshaft, and no neck down for the speedo gear, six pinion planetaries and a wider chain. Looks like if I can get my hands on one of these t/c's I can modify the mainshaft, then use a speedo collar from a 231HD kit, and some how figure out a way to modify the tail housing, I can come up with a very beefy 242 T/C. Anybody have a AMG 242 layin around???

Sounds like for the time, money and headaches you could buy an Atlas.

Go for it though. I have a 242 and would like a HD SYE.

stoneattic said:
But an Atlas doesn't have Full Time 4WD.

Exactly, I want the full-time option in the winter. I am going to start looking at government auctions and wholesalers. If I can get the whole case, that much better, but I think I could just get away with only getting my hands on the mainshaft. But I am definately going to take a look at the price differences, then if its cost effective, do a bunch of them and see if there's a want. Possibly, contact Tom Woods, AA, etc. and see if they would be interested, in something like this, considering the raw parts are already in production from New Venture.

I mean I could definately do the machining for a few of them, but not on a production scale, the only thing I am missing is a good, local source for the heat treating.

CartsXJ said:

Talk to Mike R as he's done it and he's running a modified hummer tcase in his jeep.

Back