• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door disassembly

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I am taking apart my these donor doors tongiht. Just curious what the trick was to removing the interior panels without destroying them. I am also removing the glass, and pretty much everything else. So, any tips and tricks appreciated.
josh

The trick is using the correct tool for the door panel. They're pretty easy to come by at an auto parts store. I think Lisle makes one.

You dont need any special tools. Just use a putty knife to feel around the edges of the panels and snap out the clips. There should be a total of 10.

Once you pry the clips out, remove the lock and door handle rods from the inside of the panel.

Kent

The putty knife trick works good, but use two of them. The first to "feel" around where the door snap plugs are at. Just slip it under the door panel and slide it until you come across a door plug. The second putty knife is to get on the other side of found door plug, to use both putty knives to pry the door plugs up an out to release.

According to your profile, you have a '97. Don't forget the panel screws in the door handle, and the small trim screw near the window/door frame.

Once the door plugs are free, lift up on the door panel to release it from around the window edge. Becareful at this point because the door and lock rods are still connected to the door panel. There are some rotating snap clips that lock around the rods ends to the levers. Unsnap them from the rod ends, rotate a bit, then remove the rods. Keep track of which rod goes where...

Ivan

Back