• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can somebody please help me out!!??

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
:rattle: i just bought a 95 xj 4.0 ho and before i bought it the owner said sometimes when the engine is hot it wont start right away after being turned off. he usually has to wait about 10 mins for it to cool. he said that replacing his coolant temp sensor fixed the problem every year but it always came back. he was also running a 180 t stat.
i have had the problem 4or 5 times in the few weeks i have owned it. i just changed the t stat to a stock 190* super stat and a new coolant sensor. and it happened again this afternoon. i left owrk went to BK quick and got home. turned it off and tried to restart it. no go. it turns over and tries to start but wont kick. few mins later it restarts. it seems like it only happens after being on for less than 30 mins and having a few mins of ideling time while on. i drove over 200 miles this weekend on and off hwy and never had a problem until today. wtf?

any help. oh and this is my 3rd xj and the first time i have ever experienced this problem. and the scanner picked up a code 54 which is supposed to be the coolant temp sensor. (according to the last owner)

Code 54 is a bad cam position sensor (fuel injection sync signal). This is the sensor inside the distributor. My guess is that it fails when it's hot, not an unusual mode for electronic gadgets. When this failed on my stepson's 93, I was able to make it start by turning on the ignition, and then, while on, unplugging and replugging the sensor lead from the distributor. The computer then finished booting up, and the vehicle started, but would require the same trick each time. You might try this. If it does work, you can be pretty sure you've hit the problem.

Back