• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weather report?

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
How's the weather going to be in Utah? Hot, cold, rain, snow, all of the above?
Also, how far are the trailheads from Slickrock Campground? Will I have to air up after every run?

Jes

I say son, you got to learn to use the right tools: http://www.weather.com
Some clouds this week, hi mid 60's low mid 40's. Sun is forcast from next Monday10/7, hi mid 70's low mid 40. Unstable conditions/members are expected.

[quote:7f2f358de5="Erik"] Unstable conditions/members are expected.[/quote:7f2f358de5]

:mrgreen:

Jes

Daytime temps in early October seem to run from mid 70's to mid 80's - seems hotter though because of all the rock.

Two years ago it was warm enough in the evenings to sit around the campfires in our T-shirts, last year you needed a sweatshirt. Freezing temperatures and/or snow is not unheard of (the La Sal Mts got a good dump of it during our stay last year), but I would rate that a pretty low probability for Moab and vicinity. Lower mid 40's seems about right given the recent patterns.

Most trailheads are only a few miles away from SRCG, a lot of folks air down at the beginning of the week and leave it there.

I'm headed West in about 9 hours - see you guys there.

Mike in NJ

[quote:d1a3a94702="Jes"]How's the weather going to be in Utah? Hot, cold, rain, snow, all of the above?
Also, how far are the trailheads from Slickrock Campground? Will I have to air up after every run?

Jes[/quote:d1a3a94702]

As a Utah native and Moab regular, I'll be able to field this with some accuracy. Typical temps for this time of the year in Moab are 65-80 on the warm side, 30-45 on the low side. Remember, this is the desert, temps tend to swing to the extremes on both ends of the spectrum.......the Moab locals have a saying..."Don't like the weather in Moab? Wait 1/2 hour!" Reason? Moab City sits in a valley where you really can't see the weather coming in from the West until it pops over the rim, and with the 2nd highest mountain range in Utah located just to the East of Moab, they tend to get a swirling effect as storms will hit the LaSal Mtns. from the South and then rotate around which often leaves Moab wet, or white.
I've seen 85 degrees and cloudless skies in October and I've been dusted with snow up on Poison Spider Mesa in October........
Bottom line, bring your shorts and t-shirts but throw in some long pants and sweatshirts/jacket just in case.

Trailhead distances vary from camp, but most are less than 5 miles from SCG and you can stay aired down to run out to the trailhead. You always want to drive with added caution when aired down and swaybars disco'ed, but no trophys are awarded for best E.T. to the trailhead :lol:

See you next week.....

X

Alright, sounds like we're in for some great weather for wheeling.
This week is going by heinously slow, I can't wait for the fun!

Jes

Back