• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Configurations

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone tell me what the rear axle configurations for the following years were...

1990-1997 Cherokees - did this differ for the 2-door model?
1993-1997 Grand Cherokees -

Most Cherokees came with the Dana 35 right??? Was it over or under the leafs???

Same question with the grands? Dana 35??? over or under??? Is the front on a Grand a solid axle or is it IFS?

TIA...

PRL

All XJs are solid rear axle. Dana 35 was standard through approximately 1992, with Dana 44 being an option in 1987 through 1989, primarily found in 1987s. No difference between 2-door and 4-door.

Beginning around 1992 Chrysler began using the Chrysler 8-1/4" axle as the standard axle. However, for whatever reason it didn't seem compatible with ABS, so the ABS-equipped XJs continued to have the D35 and the non-ABS equipped XJs got the Chrysler 8-1/4.

All XJs were built with the leaf springs over the axle. However, the Comanche pickups, which were based on the XJ platform, had the springs under the axles.

The ZJs are also solid axle but with coil spring suspension. No "over" or "under" involved. Standrad axle with the 6-cyl was a Dana 35. The V8s were equipped with a special aluminum housed version of the Dana 44 that is incompatible with standard Dana 44 parts and is prone to the housing warping, resulting in noisy operation if not premature bearing failures. The ZJ was actually offered 1993 through 1998 -- the new WJ was introduced in late 1998 as a 1999 model.

Eagle said:
Beginning around 1992 Chrysler began using the Chrysler 8-1/4" axle as the standard axle. However, for whatever reason it didn't seem compatible with ABS, so the ABS-equipped XJs continued to have the D35 and the non-ABS equipped XJs got the Chrysler 8-1/4.

I've been wondering about this recently. A friend of mine used to have a 4-cylinder Dakota (about a '98 or '99 model) with rear ABS. I'll stick my neck out here and assume that the axle under it was the 8.25; if this is correct, is there any reason why it wouldn't work under an XJ? The thought here is to fit a beefier axle than the D35, but retain ABS functionality for on-road use.

Back